• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task Killers...Yea or Nay?

Most of you have it all wrong. This forum is "undecided" on whether to use a task killer because there are some morons out there. Other users have already made the decision. The fact is, apps that may not appear to be open are still running in the background use up RAM and possibly, processor power. Each app is a tiny drain, and if you have four or five doing it simultaneously, it will be bad. Backing out of apps using the "back-arrow" key doesn't do squat, and the OS doesn't kill programs, it cleans up garbage files automatically.

Developers make task killers and well-known developers use task killers. They are not stupid for doing so. They serve a purpose and if they are used, they are, theoretically, freeing up RAM. This doesn't mean you have to have one. The choice is yours. Everyone's usage is different, as well as apps installed are different. MLB At Bat does not shut down after closing it. It continues to drain battery with live updates. You need a task killer for that. I have found the same to be true of Pandora, the few times I have used it.

Upvote 0
It's all good.

System Panel (actually, it's Systempanel) is, in addition to being as close to a task killer as vampires can get without turning to ash, a really nice app.

It's a lot like Task Manager for Windows, in that it shows graphical representations of system activity. It's more for those of us who want to keep an eye on things than those who want to kill tasks.

SystemPanel v1.0.b4 Application for Android | Tools

+1

Upvote 0
Backing out of apps using the "back-arrow" key doesn't do squat

Sorry, but you couldn't be any more wrong about that. IF the dev of an app does their job right, that back out arrow does everything it should. No task killer needed.

On the other side of the same coin, if the dev didn't do things correctly, you are absolutely right, the back arrow "dont do squat".

So you see, whether you think you need a task killer, or you think you dont, you are RIGHT. Depending on the dev that made the apps you are using...

I swear I saw a thread about this somewhere... Maybe its just me :)

Have a good one guys... carry on.

Upvote 0
Well from my brief experience with having one and not having one, i'll have to say since i rooted my phone i haven't been running one. And things have never been smoother. Of course i turned off animations as well so things overall seem much snappier, which may be why i don't feel the need to run one anymore. We'll see down the road, i've bought 2 of them and they are both available on my account whenever i feel the need to download and install them again, so i'm not worried.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones