• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task Killers??

RunVert

Jan 28, 2011
Fort Collins, Colorado
There are several Task Killers on the Market.

-Advanced Task Manager
-Advanced Task Killer
-Automatic Task Killer
-Super Task Killer 2011
-Watchdog Task Manager
-Taskiller Free

....Just to name a few on the top of my head. What are the differences between all these task killers? which one is best?

I also have heard that having a task killer installed burns up battery life faster just because it is always running in the background, which defeats the purpose of installing a task killer to get better battery life in the first place.

What are your thoughts on these?

Here's what you do:

Turn your phone on, uninstall all task killers you have installed, and begin using the phone. If you really want to kill stuff, use the embedded process manager in android 2.2. On top of ending running processes the right way, it will discourage you from wanting to kill stuff all the time and let the operating system do it's job! Believe it or not, it can in fact handle itself really well without you intervening.

Reactions: PolicyWonk
Upvote 0
The very best Task Killer is _NO_ Task Killer.

Android is not a PC
Android is not a Mac
Android is not an iPhone.

Obvious? Yes.

However too many people fail to study & learn what the Android mobile OS is all about.

They "Assume" like they're experts that tasks running in the background are bad. wrong!

Google is your friend. Learn Android & you will be very impressed. You'll save wasted time listening to "experts" who aren't .

Cheers

Upvote 0
i have a Motorola Atrix and there is a built-in Task Manager. This is very good compare to other task killers. I tried to shut down Skype with Advance Task Killer but didn't work, and the built-in task manager does the job nicely. i will take the advice here and uninstall Advance Task Killer :D cheers all.

Upvote 0
I posted in another thread about this. I used to manually kill my apps on occasion. I haven't killed them at all in the past few days and I am thinking my battery has lasted longer than it had been. It doesn't mean you won't use more memory but not battery power. You'll use more power as apps open all the time after you close them.

Upvote 0
^ cool... I couldn't have said it better myself.
icon14.gif

Upvote 0
I would say, use only built in task killers, as these do not actually kill the running processes but only remove the cached data on the RAM to free up more.

Killing running processes actually leads to worse battery life on Android, or even data corruption is a relatively rare cases I'd think. Besides, if you kill a running process, it will restart after a few secs or mins, so its pointless.

Use only a third party task killer only if you know which should and could be killed or not.

Upvote 0
Manipulating your system with Tasker works better than any task killer. BG sync for 4 minutes, once an hour, reduce battery usage when the phone is idle, after a specific time of day, etc. I use android assistant to keep things from starting up, but that's about it. Just because they show running does NOT mean they're using battery power or cpu time. the more times an app closes and opens, the more battery power and cpu time you use, hence why task killers are over-hyped.

Upvote 0
If you are on HC or ICS you can try GestureControl. Besides other things it allows you to kill current application with a gesture. You can create you own gesture pattern. For example I use 4 fingers swipe down for "kill application", so while in Skype I just have to swype 4 fingers down in order to close and kill it.

While it is true, that there is no point killing regular applications, there are applications that start background processes: Skype, some games with reminders, etc. Killing such application will kill its background process too and it won't use resources or bother you with notifications.

http://androidforums.com/applicatio...ouch-gestures-works-all-apps.html#post4262144

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones