• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Task Killers...

RunVert

Jan 28, 2011
Fort Collins, Colorado
There are several Task Killers on the Market.

-Advanced Task Manager
-Advanced Task Killer
-Automatic Task Killer
-Super Task Killer 2011
-Watchdog Task Manager
-Taskiller Free

..Just to name a few. With a rooted phone, are these task killers needed?
I hear some people say that having a task killer installed is actually worse for your battery life because it is running in the background, defeating the purpose. IS this true? what is your take on having a task killer installed on a rooted phone?

I use SETcpu to keep everything at 245 when charging and screen off to increase battery life. With a task killer installed, in addition to SETcpu, would this better or worsen the phone battery life?

There's no need for a task killer to auto-kill apps. Having a task killer installed is handy on the occasion one of your apps does something undesirable. I find from personal experience that I very rarely have to manually kill an app though. My task killer is built into System Panel, which I mainly use to monitor battery/CPU.

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
I used to be a die hard ATK user. I think they were needed on early Android, say 1.6, but with Froyo and Gingerbread, not only are they useless, but I think they do hurt battery life. That being said, I have been using Watchdog, with isn't really a killer IMO, but it keeps an eye on "misbehaving" apps and you can choose what needs to be "killed" It's very customizable in regards to setting CPU threshold levels even with the free version so I def recommend giving it a try. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones