• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Task Killers

Has anyone had any success with task killers to free up RAM memory?

After a few days usage my free RAM is down to about 700Mb even using "advance task killer" app.

A simple power cycle gets it back up to 1400Mb. Then it slowly goes back down as I play around with my N5.

What sort of free RAM have you got, and do you use a task manager or memory optimiser?

Upvote 0
Basically what El Presidente said.

I will only kill an app if it's keeping the phone awake and it's not supposed to.

wmftk0.png

Upvote 0
You don't need one. Android is based on Linux and with Linux, free RAM is wasted RAM.

Killing tasks goes totally against the way the OS works and will have a negative impact on battery life.

Have a read here for more info: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/335110-why-you-dont-need-task-killer.html (It explains things much better than I could).

Wow, that was a long read. Thanks for that, guess I don't need one at all. Coming from windows I guess I am used to keeping as much RAM free as possible.

Upvote 0
Coming from windows I guess I am used to keeping as much RAM free as possible.

Even with Windows (since XP at least), there hasn't been a need to free up any RAM. Free RAM is always wasted RAM. Even if the OS caches some application data into the RAM, it will free it up if needed (assuming that other application is not active).

Only when there are multiple applications running, that all require enough RAM to use up all available RAM will Windows load up the pagefile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones