• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
What TASK MANAGER do you folks use?

I not a big fan of the one I have. For whatever reason I must not be using it correctly, because each time I open it a ton of apps are still running (like Google Search, Maps, S Suggest, etc) and I am asked of I want to KILL them myself.

I really don't need all these apps running all the time (I don't believe).

As always, thanks in advance.

Well, the general consensus here is to use NO task killers at all.
Android does a fantastic job at doing that itself and killing apps manually is not needed.

Android will keep things in the background until no longer needed.

I need to find a link about task killers for you but my computer is acting fudgy at the moment and perhaps someone else can link it for you:)

Edit: found one of many explanations:
http://www.howtogeek.com/127388/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-use-a-task-killer-on-android/

Reactions: Townie33
Upvote 0
When I first got the S3 in October of last year i jumped on the bandwagon of always clearing my tasks and clearing my RAM and was having multiple problems . The last 3 months I have weened myself off of that . I never clear RAM anymore and rarely even open the task manager and have been having a much better experience with the S3 . So I agree no task managers are needed .

Upvote 0
That is a very well-written article, and it backs up the one I wrote. Thank you for the link.

No probs. It's the article I point most people asking about Task Killers to. Its a great place to start for people who do not fully understand why they're installing a TK in the first place.

Upvote 0
Maybe the fact that the s3 says this is a bit misleading
1362243043305.jpg

Upvote 0
yeah its just when u hit 15%. What does it mean by charging being less efficient if you plug in at <15% and continue to use? (as opposed to charging while using the phone when its >15)

Closing apps is going to bring down power consumption. They're just trying to make sure you dont have something running your battery down

AKA wakelock

Upvote 0
Yeah apps like facebook etc but surely that would be true no matter what percentage the battery was at lol?

Correct, but when you're under 15% you do whatever you can to keep your battery consumption down ;)

When you're catering to the broad users of smartphones who have no clue about the underlying processes it makes sense to just have them use a taskmanager to close all apps to keep the phone from shutting down

It is a confusing dialogue though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones