1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Task Managers and your Hero

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by romeosidvicious, Dec 13, 2009.

1. bryant_16

bryant_16 Lurker
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Hey there, need some clarifications from you.

Yeah, sorry for it. I want to clear all my doubts. I have read the article already, just that I need more clarifications about it.

Regarding the multi-tasking issue, I was wondering, lets say I have opened this application (maps or whatever it is) and I need to switch to reply a sms and then go back to the application (maps or whatever it is). If the ram wasn't enough, and it booted out that application (mpas or whatever it is), there is no multi-tasking here already. You get what I mean?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Xandria

Xandria Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    Portland area
    Holy cow, romeosidvicious! The information you have supplied us is amazing. I dare say, I have taken (and paid for!!) computer classes that don't disseminate as much great info!

Thank you so much for taking the time. I have only had my Hero for 2 days... I am REALLY glad I read your posts!

3. dizzy

dizzy Member
    None

Aug 27, 2009
    So. CA
    Romeo:
    Thanks for all the work you put into this....

I'm new to Android and just got a Hero a couple weeks ago so I'm searching all the forums (and other Android sites) for useful tips. After reading your post I feel better informed about Linux, Android and my new phone ... thanks!

So far, I'm impressed with the Android OS and the Hero ... I even like HTC's Sense UI, didn't think I would because I didn't like a previous HTC WinMo UI. There are some apps included with the phone that I'm not interested in (ex: Sprint TV, Nascar, HTC Widgets, etc.) and would like to uninstall but based on what I've been reading the only way to do that is to "root" my phone ... is that correct? And if I root my Hero, wouldn't I lose access to the Sense UI components that I wanted to keep?

4. ejpyle

ejpyle Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 12, 2010

I have mine rooted and still have full use of Sense UI. so to answer your questions, no, nothing effects it.

5. dizzy

dizzy Member
    None

Aug 27, 2009
    So. CA
    ejpyle:
    Please clarify your response ... am not sure I understood it or perhaps my confusion lies with the info I've gotten in the posts I'm reading.

1) Have I misunderstood the posts I read that people who'd tried to uninstall certain "bundled" apps (Sprint TV, Nascar, Peep, etc.) weren't able to get rid of those apps?

2) Doesn't the rooting process would erase/over-write the HTC-customized version with the "plain vanilla" Android OS?

6. paul.scott

paul.scott Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2010
    I prefer Advanced Task Kill by Apollo Software than rechild, it do save a lot battery.

7. carhauler1969

carhauler1969 Member
    None

Feb 23, 2010
    Auto Transport
    Purmela,Texas
    So....... After stumbling upon, & reading through this thread in it's entirety, I decided to take RomeoSidVicious' advice & STOP using TaskManager, just to see if it would fix some issues w/ my Hero. I was having issues w/ HTC Sense rebooting, sluggish performance, very slow boot ups, poor battery life, etc. It's been 3 days now & I can honestly say W O W!!!! :D What a difference, battery life is 2-3 times what it was, NO reboots, phone is "zippy".

I have no, read NO experience with anything Linux based, & was operating under the "kill 'em all" mindset from my MS Windows PC upbringing. Everything I read prior to getting my Hero said to make sure you get & use a task manager, so I did, I tried 3, & all had similar issues. I have since uninstalled all but the Task Manager included with Astro File Manager, & have not killed a single task in 3 days! I am now a Reformed Killer, & vow to let Android do it's job as an OS. Thank you so much Romeo, you are the Linux GOD!!!! +2 for the "grok"

hodad37 likes this.
  8. DesertHut

DesertHut Lurker
    None

Mar 19, 2010
    Ever realized when you long press the home screen, it shows you the last 6 apps, right? Those are the ones in memory for faster reloading. Once the app moves to spot 7 it goes idle, closes, or sticks in the background (what Romeo calls bad apps) depending on its properties.

Android's Memory management
    Android was designed to be a multitasking, fire-breathing beast. It allows applications to keep their spot in device RAM, and stay ready to jump back into focus when the user needs them. The OS also is very good at sharing libraries between applications, so that app coders have a great set of functions already built to choose from. In a perfect world (perfect for developers anyway) we all would use the same applications for the same reasons and that would be the end of it.
    But nothing's perfect

We all use different apps, at different times, in different ways. When you consider that nightmare for developers, it's surprising that Android (or any mobile operating system) handles the job as well as it does. Let's take a quick and hopefully easy to understand look at what goes on behind that screen.
    An application starts, either because you started it or the developer sees a benefit in having it run behind the scenes. Some examples of the last bit -

• When you add or remove an application, Google Voice starts (if it was not running). It scans the application to see if needs to use or share any functions with it. Install a new text-to-speech engine? Google Voice will use it.
    • Copy some pictures from your SD card to your computer? The gallery needs to start up when you remount your SD card to check for new pictures or videos so it can scan them and have them ready to show in the right spot.
    This all sounds great. What we aren't considering above is that these apps will stay in the device memory until they are told to close. They won't use any other resources, just sit idle and be ready to re-draw themselves on your screen. In today's age of 1Ghz+ processors and high speed data transfer, we get impatient when we want to load a NEW application and it's not instant. We want our device to zoom between screens. We want our device to snap new applications into focus. We want our device to perform in ways it wasn't really designed to do. Using a task killer the correct way can get close to those goals.
    A quick study here on just how Android manages memory - Each application has a number (from 1-6) assigned to it, depending of the type of app and it's state. Android assigns a level of minimum free RAM for each category and kills off what it thinks is no longer needed in each once that threshold is reached. This is a pretty technical discussion, and I'm just going to mention it here for those that are interested. If you would like to manipulate these numbers yourself, feel free to give me a holler and I'll point you in the right direction. But let's not clutter up this any more than necessary, as this is a pretty advanced discussion.
    The task killer interface

Each application looks and acts a little different, and task killers are no exception. I'll be using Advanced Task Manager for my examples. I am not recommending this above any others. It suits my needs and was well worth the $0.99, so I stopped looking for alternatives. Your choice could look a bit different, but should have the same functionality. Just have a look through the settings and you'll find where to make the same changes and choices.
    Below you're looking at a list of running application that the task killer has permission to kill once you give it the go-ahead. You're not seeing every running process, and reading a little further will explain why that's a good thing. We'll refer back to this image in a bit, but take a second and look over it for now.
    [​IMG]

Manually killing tasks

The best easiest least complicated way to use a task killer is to open it and manually kill off things you're sure you don't need whenever you feel things have slowed down. The trick is knowing what else won't work if you kill off an app. Things like games, web browsers, dictionaries or other stand alone apps are usually a safe bet to kill off if you find them running. In the example above Astro File Manager is running because I was looking for a file I had downloaded. I'm done with Astro, so there is no need for it to stay running. I could safely kill it off, and nothing else would be affected.

Note

flailer likes this.
  9. flailer

flailer Member
    None

Apr 4, 2010
    Capt Amazing
    Champion City
    A smart/educated user is a happy/satisfied user

Thus i say: MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR Props to Romeo!!!

And i would like to thank, and point out that, Kronium adds a lot to this thread - in the form of a rather nice counter-balance (of how people get into trouble - just my opinion here - so i thank him too for his point of view and the voice he freely submits).

As a Eng, and a long time cellular user, i expect to get proper use and operation from my tec-tools. If the tool runs sh!tty i'd rather just throw it away. Thus i have been researching apps for over a week now, without downloading anything... until today, when i got spare parts.

Within 10 mins spare parts told me MORE about how my phone is operating than a simple task manager would have, and prolly a lot more than the task-killers i hear-tell of.

A smart/educated user is a happy/satisfied user, imo.

10. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    When is the best time to check up time versus awake time?

11. Hemlox

Hemlox Member
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Illinois
    After reading all the posts about Task Killers, I finally gave in and stopped using mine. Coming from a Windows mentality this was really hard for me to do. I had been killing aps several times a day. I turned off the ATK 3 days ago, and much to my suprise, my phone is running PERFECT. Very little to no lag, and my battery life has almost doubled. At 12:00 last night I was still at 50%. After rebooting the phone, and after the OS settles down the apps not being used, the phone basically had no lag at all. I want to tell you this thread should be manitory reading for all Hero users. I want to thank you for the time and effort you have put into it. I did keep the ATK installed incase I have a app that is not operating properly I can kill it. But for the last 3 days I have been letting the phone take care of itself and it is awesome. Personally, If we get 2.1 that would be great, but I am 100% satisfied with my phone the way it is right now. By the way I wanted to ad that my awake time is less than 12%.
    Thanks again...
    Hemlox

12. chris100575

chris100575 Well-Known Member
    None

May 2, 2010
    IT Tech
    North Cumbria
    This thread makes for very interesting reading, like many others one of the first things I downloaded was ATK and went through it obessively every time I'd done anything on my phone and killed stuff. Since reading through here I've disabled auto-kill and auto-start, used ATK to kill itself, and will leave it off to see what happens.

13. celamantia

celamantia Lurker
    None

May 11, 2010
    I do have one serious issue with this thread's concept: the People app. Now this is a stock app on the Hero. If I miss a call and check that missed call alert, it opens People to show the missed numbers list. At this point, until I use Task Manager to kill People, my phone lags hard.

I do not have a lot of apps installed on my Hero. Under normal circumstances, my phone shows just HTC Sense, Phone, and Task Manager itself in the running tasks list. Now if I get a call and check the alert, then exit out, both People and a second Phone task (with a different icon) appear. At this point, my phone will lag badly until I kill People; killing people takes the extra Phone task with it and my phone goes back to being itself.

The other problem stock app is the Browser. If I leave it on a complicated page, the phone just crawls until I kill it, and you can't back out of it without backing through every single page you looked at in that session. Fortunately, I found a workaround: I added a bookmark to about:blank, and I browse to that bookmark before I go back to the home screen. (I also use about:blank as my home page so the browser starts faster.) When I remember to do that, the impact on performance is minimal. But if I accidentally go to the home screen while I'm on something like Facebook, the task manager must intervene.

Other non-stock apps have these sorts of effects, obviously (Camera-using apps seem to be the worst offenders), but I had to take issue with the idea that if you just use the stock default apps then everything gets recycled without lag on the Hero.

--Chris

Tags: