• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task Managers / Killers

jcarsw04

Jan 25, 2011
Do people still use third party task killers since the release of Android 2.2? While the default task manager can kill tasks running in the background, it doesn't seem to have the ability to auto kill services running in the background. I don't like the fact that applications leave services running even after the application has been closed. In order to maximize battery life I think an auto task killer is necessary although Google appears to advise against using such apps. Some apps even seem to randomly start a service running in the background even before they are opened such as the Amazon App store. What are other people's opinion on using third party task managers to auto kill background services?

Services and apps may not actually be running in the background. They are likely just loaded in memory, but suspended and not running. That way, when they are needed again later, they do not need to be loaded again.

Android manages system resources to ensure apps and services it thinks you may need are loaded into memory. Android tries to make use of unused memory by loading apps and services it thinks you will need in the future. That way, when you need them, they will start up faster.

If you use a task killer, you are likely to interfere with Androids system resource management. If you try to kill a task, Android may think there is a problem and try to start that task up again and reload it into memory. If this happens, killing the task will actually cause your phone to use up more power loading a task that the task killer killed. For this reason, it is not recommended that you use task killers as they most likely have the opposite effect of what you intend.

Upvote 0
Allz I know, is that I picked up Juice Defender about a month or so ago...and it's been the absolute best app I've come across for extending battery life. I've had no problems with missing texts or calls, and my battery life really has practically doubled.
For what it's worth...I'm typically not happy with anything, but this has proved to be worth it.

Upvote 0
don't instant messaging apps, for example, have to be constantly listening for incoming messages? I would assume background services such as these would drain your battery somewhat.

There are some background services that need to be running all the time. If your phone did absolutely nothing in the background, you won't get text messages, notifications or phone calls. What I am referring to are apps such as the web browser or news reader (if you disable background syncing).

Upvote 0
I think an auto task killer is necessary although Google appears to advise against using such apps. Some apps even seem to randomly start a service running in the background even before they are opened such as the Amazon App store. What are other people's opinion on using third party task managers to auto kill background services?

You're going to get the same advice here as those you've found in your Google search. This post here will sum it up nicely. Read the post in its entirety and then make your own informed decision on weather or not you really need a task killer. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones