• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task/ToDo List: cloudList

Hi there!

We recently released a new app for Android called cloudList. The best way to explain what the app does is probably to explain how it came about...

Back in college, one of our team members kept track of grocery lists with his roommates on a white board. Everyone would add what the apartment needed to the board throughout the week and then on the weekend they would take the list (literally the board itself) to the grocery store. As amusing as this was (it was a great conversation starter), the board was, as you can imagine, pretty unwieldy. Plus, if someone forgot to add items to the list or take things off, the apartment would end up having to use OJ for cereal or eating lots of bacon for the next month (not necessarily a bad thing...).

It was from this problem that cloudList was born. It allows people to create and share lists with each other on their Android device or via the web (cloudlist.quarterstaf.com). Changes are synced and distributed instantly to all collaborators so everyone always has the latest update. All collaborators can edit the list, so if someone already bought the bacon, they can check it off and everyone else would know. Likewise, just remembered that the apartment needs milk? Add it to the list and the folks at the store get the info instantly.

Since then, we've found lots of other uses for cloudList. Got a project team? Make a task list and anyone can tackle them and check it off. Hosting a party? Make a playlist, share it with your guest and open it up for requests.

We hope that you can take the time to look at our app and provide some comments. It's certainly helping us stay organized together and we think it could help others as well.

Thanks for your consideration!
the cloudList Team
cloudList Home

[edit] I forgot to mention, you guys can follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/quarterstaf

We just updated the market application with a new release!

Version 1.1 includes:
Better Notifications (toggle between simple or multiple notifications)
Categories (There is a minor bug, but we'll get a fix out over the weekend)
Ability to email a list
Fixed connection stability issues

Let me know what you guys think! Reply on here or send requests/bug reports to feedback@cloudlist.quarterstaf.com

Upvote 0
Hi Acchao,

It's great to see an another app using the cloud format. At the moment we are using ourgroceries to manage our shopping lists and remember the milk for everything else. RTM is costly so we may possibly look at moving to cloudlist in the future.

A few things I would need to see before moving...
1. Sorry to be blunt but the current android app is quite fugly. I would suggest to use the standard android black/green/white template as the sand background and button images just doesn't sit right in my phone.
2. It would be great if the app supported barcode scanning and along with that stored items (take a look at how ourgroceries does it) so you don't have to re-type the whole item again, then following on default lists for stored items.
3. Something I'd love to see that ourgroceries doesn't currently offer is the ability to see what's currently in stock (in the fridge) and be notified it's it going to expire soon. This could also lead on to when something is taken out of the fridge a notification to re-order (add to the shopping list).

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Upvote 0
Great idea, I understand the need to share my to-do list and I can imagine, that there are plenty of purposes to do that. You do not event have to live with other students in one flat, LOL ;)
Like bluenova, I would prefer more standard GUI in you software.
Keep a good work and good luck.

Upvote 0
For sure, we definitely want to make an iphone/ipad port. It's just a matter of finding the time to do so as our entire team work regular day jobs/go to school so cloudList right now is still a side project for us.

We're also beginning the process of revamping our website so expect a new and improved web experience in the coming months.

Reactions: OFI
Upvote 0
I'd thought I post an update about CloudList. We've added quite a few fixes and features since my last post on this forum.

Update 2.1.5:
- Enabled apps2sd! Caution: When disconnecting the SDcard, your widget will be removed!
- Reduced the application size
- Added Drag and Drop (BETA)
- Spanish Translation by Josema-Poliedro
- In Settings, you can now enable the option to count checked items unchecked
- You can also enable strikethrough when items are checked (Settings -> Customize the UI)
- Clicking a category allows you to rename the category
- Added greater control over item sorting: ascending or descending
- More UI tweaks

Let me know if anyone has any issues. I am personally starting to work on this full time until I go back to graduate school so expect to see more consistent updates and releases!

-Andrew

[edit] here are the android market links
CloudList (free) https://market.android.com/details?id=com.quarterstaf.cloudlist
CloudList Pro (Ad free + widget) https://market.android.com/details?id=com.quarterstaf.cloudlistpro

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones