1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Tasker and Google Maps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sokudo Ningyou, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Sokudo Ningyou

Sokudo Ningyou Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    Female
    SE Wisconsin
    This is kind of a weird Tasker+Google Map problem. I've noticed when looking up my location at home on my X (which is in the country, but is a suburb of a city) on Google Maps, it persists in saying I'm almost a mile away from where I actually am. And it won't update to my actual location, or anywhere closer to it. (For the record, if I search directly for my address, it does exist, picture and all, but simply telling it to locate my phone is way off.)

So, I'm trying to make a Wifi Near profile by location, and sure enough, it keeps saying I'm a mile away. I don't want to use GPS if I don't have to (and even that doesn't seem to recognize where I am), and I really don't want to have to extend the radius by several kilometres just to get it close to my actual house. Has anyone else had a problem with their location being off? And if you have Tasker and have tried a similar profile, how did you fix it?

Advertisement

2. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Cell tower positioning will only do so much much it costs less battery. If you turn on the gps and wifi for a while it will teach google about the access points around your house.

Sokudo Ningyou likes this.
  3. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    Do you want to turn Wifi on when you're close to your house? And turn it off when you're out of range?

If you use the cell towers only, you *have to* set the range to about 2kms for the wifi on/off to work properly. And for this particular purpose 2 miles is fine.

It's what I do.

Once in my driveway, my phone connects to my home wifi and by the time I walk through the door, my home profile is activated (volumes set, keyguard off, etc).

Sokudo Ningyou likes this.
  4. Sokudo Ningyou

Sokudo Ningyou Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    Female
    SE Wisconsin

I finally threw up my hands and downloaded some profiles off the wiki, but yeah, that was basically what was throwing me. I didn't expect to need to have to set the range so far, but I was also thinking it was working off the range of my router, not the cell tower. :eek: (Yes, I was being a bit dumb.) Now if I can just figure out that reboot task for Sunday mornings...