1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

tasker: Gps prompts frustration

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Questionable, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Questionable

Questionable Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Project engineer
    Chester
    hello,

after browsing a bit and lurking your marvelous forum I became inspired to give tasker a test run.

This is perhaps a little bit like learning to run before I can walk as I believe there is likely a simple solution to this and I am lacking some basic knowledge.

In the interests of conserving battery power, I quickly found myself trying to construct a profile to enable and disable the Gps function of the handset specifically when the selected apps require it.

I did this by following the Instructions in the tasker wiki

link: tasker.wikidot.com/powersave

although it appears to work as it should I still get prompts from for example the navigation app that the Gps is disabled and I should press ok to toggle the settings... but Lo and behold when I arrive the Gps settings are already turned on (by tasker) and then turned off again by tasker because I have exited the navigation app!

blast! this is hardly a more efficient solution then doing the settings manually each time!

I would be grateful if somebody could shed some light on this for me.

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    The reason you are getting the notifications, is tasker doesn't turn on the gps until the app is loaded. By that time, the app sees that the gps isn't on yet, so it gives you that notification.

However, even though this is said to save battery, it really doesn't. You can leave the GPS on all the time. The gps will ONLY be used when an app requests it, i.e. when you open Google Maps. Otherwise, you will still see the icon in the notification bar, but its not being used at all.

Questionable likes this.
  3. Questionable

Questionable Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Project engineer
    Chester
    I thanked you for the above message, it shares much of my prior suspicions but result is very reasssiring.

it really was my first attempt at tasker before I try something a little more creative, but I do find it odd this question hasn't been raised previously as much of the tasker threads appear to emulate similar functions as the one I have created.

maybe those bright minds found a workaround I failed to see?

4. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    I really don't think there is a workaround. I too found myself using that tasker profile when I first got tasker, but it was annoying to have that message come up everytime i wanted to use Maps.

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    A delay to allow the GPS receiver to turn on and obtain a fix is the usual workaround.

^ This. Don't blindly accept the recommendation to "turn off GPS to save battery". In general, don't randomly apply "fixes" to improve battery life. Determine what's using up your battery (based on your specific usage) and address those items.

The only potential savings from turning GPS off would come from a situation where you have apps that use GPS without your knowledge. If you're too lazy to address the problem apps then turning GPS off can help. If the GPS receiver is only used when you want it to be used then there's no point to a profile like this.

If the GPS icon is in the notification bar then the GPS receiver is actively being used and will impact battery life. Blinking means that it's trying to get a fix. Steady means that it has a fix.

If it's not being used then the icon will not appear in the notification bar even if it is turned on. That's one way you can determine if apps are using the receiver without your knowledge.

6. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Agree with takeshi 100%.

One way to work around this is to create a shortcut using Tasker which will 1) enable GPS, 2) open Google Maps.

As takeshi noted, you probably need to add a step in between with a "Wait" command to put a little delay in there.

Personally, I don't like this solution because it makes my phone appear slow - I want the app to open immediately.

Also, my Google Maps app doesn't pop up everytime if GPS is off. It works well even without GPS on. I have seen other apps do this, but not Google Maps itself. If the other app is requiring GPS, first - I would say that it shouldn't. There are other location methods available, and the app should allow you to use that. Second, I would recommend to the developer to remove the annoying popup each time you open the app.