1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tasker Help-New User

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by upgrumpy, Feb 28, 2011.

1. upgrumpy

upgrumpy Newbie
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    I thought I was able to figure out most apps by playing around and searching the net for help but tasker has me about ready to throw my phone into the wall.

I am a locale user and severl said try tasker.

Could someone help me get started. If I see a profile or task and look at maybe I could figure it out.

The most important task I need is when I sleep. I need the following:

turn phone ringer off EXCEPT for WORK, HOME, WIFE, CHILD calling.

turn off sound for all inbound text messages EXCEPT for WORK contact (which they send out as a email and it comes to my phone as a text (sms gateway).

Then have all this active during a specified time period then off the rest of the time.

Any help would be great. Like I said I have used locale since I got my phone and would love to understand this tasker...

Thanks
    Scott

Advertisement

2. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Take a look at the samples on the Tasker site as well as the documentation and start there.

3. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    First create a time context of your sleeping hours, for instance 11pm - 7am. Then create a state context, so SMS received. Now you can specify specific contacts, so label all your contacts that you WANT your phone to ring for.

Then create a task in that profile, first turn off silent, then turn volume up to max, then turn the phone back on silent again. Done :)

4. upgrumpy

upgrumpy Newbie
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Thank you for your help. I think I might have to stick to Locale... LOL I have spent so much time searching the net and trying to figure this tasker out and still in 1st gear so to speak....

5. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 12, 2010
    Don't give up. I use to use Locale but I thought I would give Tasker a try and now I love it. There is so much you can do with it. My dad got the app off a recommendation from me and could not figure it out at first. So, I walked him through creating some basic tasks and now he has some very detailed tasks that he is showing me how to make. You may be in 1st gear for a little while but you will soon be doing 60+ mph.

6. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Don't give up!!!

I know it's daunting, but I agree that tasker is so much better when you truly understand it. I will upload a guide to this exact question to my blog tomorrow evening. I'll post a link here and send you a PM when it's done. Until then use locale, but tomorrow I will have the guide done for you!

upgrumpy likes this.
  7. upgrumpy

upgrumpy Newbie
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    LOL, i spent 3 hours last night trying to set up what I want (1st post) only to delete it all.....

I can't get past turning off sound for sms messages but then allowing my employer's message to get through. on locale i have to use a local plugin, "Locale "Inbound SMS" Plug-in" by Androgone Development it Support email to SMS gateway

8. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    I think you can use some Locale plugins in Tasker. But maybe only the location-based ones work.

I have trouble with the SMS and Call tasks, too.

9. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    As promised:
    UnumMundum: Tasker Nighttime Profiles

It's a very basic setup, I just want you to get familiar with the controls. As I had the same learning curve in the very beginning, all I needed was a good kick off. Then you kind of get the feel for it, and aren't so overwhelmed to start experimenting :p