• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help tasker help - speak sms

alackman

Android Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2010
london
I'm hoping someone who has had the time to really understand tasker can help me. Heres what I want to do.
When I have my phone connected to car charger I want to have a profile turn on that when I get a text, the name of sender and then the message is read out loud.

So far I can get it to do the message but saying the number.
I've also just discovered the app saymyname which does what I want but all the time...I've set up a tanker profile that opens the app when connected to power source so I can physically turn on and same when disconnect power to turn off.

Neither of these ways are perfect and I would love to get help on this bearing in mind I only bought tasker earlier today. I have managed to turn on Bluetooth when connected to power source and turn Gps on with certain apps so this is the thing to make being in the car automated.

Yes I have %SMSRF has sent a message: %SMSRB
But this only gives the number. I'm hoping I just need to change the SMSRF for something else but I dont know what...any help?

%SMSRN is the name variable.

Another tip, if you wanted you could only have it say the first name. Depending on how much you wanted to customize your task.

Upvote 0
Great, thank you for that. I don't think ill have just first name, but out of interest what would be the variable for that? How do you know what the codes are? Is there a key or list somewhere that details them all. Is love to get tanker to do a whole lot more for me but feel very limited in Not knowing the variables codes

Upvote 0
Great, thank you for that. I don't think ill have just first name, but out of interest what would be the variable for that? How do you know what the codes are? Is there a key or list somewhere that details them all. Is love to get tanker to do a whole lot more for me but feel very limited in Not knowing the variables codes

For the name, you would have to use the Variable Split action on %SMSRN. That splits that into %SMSRN1 and %SMSRN2. Depending on how you list your contacts ex. Lastname, Firstname or Firstname Lastname is which variable is which.

For the variables, whenever you use an action (for example your Say task), there is an orange tag icon to the top-right of the box. Clicking that brings up the list of variables. When you click which variable you want, it fills in for you.

You could also find out more about them by checking out the User Guide. When you press the Menu button on your phone, then Info and you should see Variables there under Miscellaneous.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones