1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tasker Noob help

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by dgkamui, Mar 22, 2011.

1. dgkamui

dgkamui Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I Recently downloaded Tasker for my Droid X, after seeing that it is possible to use it for a lot of different tasks. My original intention was to use it to say my contact names over my bluetooth to my Jawbone ICON, since the ICON I have only says phone numbers, regardless of it being saved to contacts or not. I also wanted to have it say the name of a sender of an sms message via bluetooth. So to summarize, I'm looking for help or a ready-made program to :

1) Say the name of a caller via my ICON bluetooth earpiece instead of a phone number if it is saved to contacts, but only when my earpiece is connected. Also, after saying the contact name, I would prefer it to play the call ringtone thru bluetooth at a lower volume, audible but not deafening lol.

2) If I recieve a text while my bluetooth earpiece is connected, I would like it to say I have received a text from whatever the name is, or number. I.e. "Text message from John Doe" thru bluetooth headset. If possible. In addition, I have a specific ringtone for text messages and notifications, (The Final Fantasy Victory theme, yes, nerdy lol), and I would like this to play at a lower volume thru bluetooth, then have the "text message from soandso" announcement, if possible.

3)Any other useful or cool tasks that would be applicable.

I post this on a new thread as I haven't seen anything pertaining to my request on this site or any other, but if the question and answer exist elsewhere, please feel free to point me in the right direction. Thank you for your help.

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    You may want to try the tasker forums Tasker | Google Groups

Try:

Context: State: bluetooth connected
    Context: Event: Phone: Receive Text

Action: Say
    Text : "Text from %SMSRN"

There may be some more playing around that needs to be done however I don't have the time to test it out presently.

3. dgkamui

dgkamui Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    @yeahha, could you go a little more in depth with the process, I'm not seeming to find the proper methods to do those actions. Yes, I'm a bit noobish with Tasker, haven't programmed anything yet.

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Open tasker.

Press new, name it if you want. First context will be bluetooth on, go to state then choose "bluetooth connected"

press done.

Now you will get to select your task, press new task. Name it if you want. Press the little "+" icon next to cancel near the lower left corner.

Action catagory will be misc, then choose say. Under text type "Text from %SMSRN" choose the voice engine you want, you may have to download one if you dont already have it. Then press done.this will take you back to the the screen where you can edit tasks. Press done.

Now you are back on the tasker screen press the profile you just created. A two section area should appear below the profile tap the left hand side and choose add. This will create another context box to pop up, choose event, then phone, then "Received Text" press done.

Finally press apply.

Contexts are things that must happen to have the profile active, actions are what tasker does when all contexts are met for a specific profile. The profile is the combination of your contexts and actions

*Edit*
    If these are not clear enough I am sorry. I am working presently and don't have the ability to play around with tasker. If you have problems I will do some testing later tonight to see if I can figure it out and type it up more clearly

5. dgkamui

dgkamui Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Alrighty, got that programmed, gonna test it out in a bit, now essentially I could use a similar process for the contact name issue as well, right? I would just need to replace a couple variables. Instead of "text from %smsrn" I would put "call from ??" and I would have to change a few other variables I think? And to add other actions to a profile I just click on it, so if I would like to play a specific ringtone as well as announce the caller name or play a ringtone then say "text from %smsrn" I would be able to add that to the actions?

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

I am not sure how it would handle the ringtone, the instead of %SMSRN as the variable you would use %CNAME. Yes if the profile I typed up works for the text you should be able to modify it by changing the second context and variable to work for calls. You may need to use the "wait"
    action prior to the "say" action for the ringtone to play some. If you add an action after you are done with a profile you can long press on it and then drag it to be before a previous action.

7. dgkamui

dgkamui Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Ok.. tested and it seems to do the trick for the most part, except instead of saying contact name, it says %Smsrn or %cname lol. More specifically, "text from percent smsrn" or "call from percent cname".. I think I'm missing a step somewhere or doing something wrong lol.

8. dgkamui

dgkamui Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Update to my last post, I found out what I was doing wrong, and used the variable button to insert "caller name" for both tasks, and it seems to test fine, tried throwing ringtones in for both processes, but they continously play instead of stopping after a few seconds, which isn't what i was looking for.

9. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

Yeah if you don't get the variable 100% correct it will fail. Sounds like some more actions will be needed to fix the ringtone issue. Try adding a "wait" action before say. It is under "tasker" see if that resolves the issue.

Does the "call from..." speak on top of the ringtone?

10. dgkamui

dgkamui Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I prematurely assumed the task was working, but it only says one contact name regardless of which contact is messaging or calling, just one contact instead of a different one, for example, John Doe texts me, I hear "text from John Doe", Jane Doe texts me and I hear "text from John Doe". Sometimes it won't even say a name as well, it will just say "Call from" or "text from". Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

11. dgkamui

dgkamui Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    And in answer to your question about the ringtone, I played with the timers, but I have full songs, not clips, and thus it plays the full song to the end each time, instead of a few seconds then stopping, maybe if it were possible to specify a certain amount of time to play the ringtone? Or I may just have to clip the song to a few seconds and then use that for the media.

12. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

You can use an app called ringdroid to clip the song and use a portion, that should resolve that issue.

Put one additional action at the end of the task. Under variable choose variable clear and it will be either %SMSRN or %CNAME depending on which profile you are working on. This should clear out the name it just said and hopefull when you receive a new text/call it will update the variable to the new name

13. Rob.G

Rob.G Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Male
    United Stated
    Are you using Media Play to start the "ringtone" song? If so, you can tell it to stop after a certain amount of time using Wait (however long) then Media Stop. If it is for a caller, you use a separate context of Phone Offhook and a task of Media Stop, so when you answer the phone the song stops.