1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Tasker not working

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by barqers, Feb 18, 2011.

1. barqers

barqers Android Expert

Hey guys, This is what I'm trying to do with tasker.

I set up a profile for a date. I select the day as Friday, so the profile will be active every Friday.

Next I set an Action in that profile that says Turn on Silent. I select the IF checkbox, and I do

IF %TIME = 01:30

This is in 24h mode. I've also tried
    IF %TIME ~ 01:30
    IF %TIME = 1:30
    IF %TIME ~ 1:30
    IF %TIME = 1:30am
    IF %TIME ~ 1:30am

But whenever 1:30 rolls around, it doesn't work. So how would I go about doing this?

Basically what I'm trying to do is have tasker turn my phone on silent when I enter class (without using GPS, and based on the time only), and then I'll have it turn off silent when I leave the class (again, based on time only).

Advertisement

2. barqers

barqers Android Expert

Bump, Any help would be useful...

3. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert

Add the time as a context instead of as a task.

barqers likes this.
  4. barqers

barqers Android Expert

Okay, I'll try that.

But one question, when you say as a context, what does that mean?

Once I add my profile Day as Saturday for instance since it's now saturday, then I have to add a task, so I'll add the Silent mode ON task. Where do I put time as the context?

5. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert

Click on the Day context you created and you'll open the add Context menu where you can add more contexts.

barqers likes this.
  6. barqers

barqers Android Expert

PERFECT! That did it! Finally :D

Just one more question, if I set a time frame from say 2am to 10am, but don't leave the repeat box checked, it will only run my tasks at 2am once? And then won't run it again?

And is it possible to set a task to run at the end of the time context? So at 10am it turns silent mode OFF? Or do I have to create an entirely new profile for this?

Thank you so much for your replies!

7. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert

Your phone should revert back to whatever settings it had when your end time is reached.

If it doesn't then you should add an Exit task, not a new profile.

barqers likes this.
  8. DaWeav

DaWeav Android Enthusiast

When I first started using Tasker, %TIME matched with a period in place of the colon.

IF %TIME ~ 01.30

Then I also used (OR) in the statement to match different times to perform the Task.

IF %TIME ~ 01.30/05.30/09.30/13.30/17.30/21.30

I find ideas on how to do Tasker stuff by taking things out of the Tasker WiKi routines and using them in my routines.

barqers likes this.
  9. barqers

barqers Android Expert

Thanks you guys :D

Finally got tasker setup for silent modes! I've just got to figure out a couple other things like having the phone turn on airplane mode of the phone loses signal.

10. barqers

barqers Android Expert

Is it possible to tell tasker to turn my phone airplane mode on if it goes down to no reception?

11. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

I know that your problem has been solved, but I thought you might like to know why this doesn't work.

Your context was "Friday". That means, as soon as it becomes Friday the profile activates.

The tasks you list for the profile only run 1 time (unless you set the profile to repeat using a TIME context).

So, as soon as your clock ticks over from Thursday to Friday, the profile activates and it runs the tasks. Since it is NOT 1:30 at that point, the Silent Mode task you put in there is skipped.

Tasker says the profile is still active (because it hasn't exited) but the tasks are a single event only. They are not constantly running for the life of the profile.

This is why adding the TIME as a context works. Your two contexts DAY and TIME only turn on the profile when both are active. So, the profile turns on at 1:30 on Friday.

Yes, use a Variable Context using this variable: %CELLSIG

Read the Tasker user guide, it will help you. A list of variables is here:
    Tasker: Variables

12. barqers

barqers Android Expert

Awesome!! Thanks a lot :D