1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tasker Question

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by tcat007, Jul 28, 2011.

1. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    So far the only app I've paid for is GrooveIP, all other free apps are perfectly acceptable for me. Before I shell out for Tasker, I want to be sure the learning curve is worth it. The main thing I want it do:

When I drive into my driveway at home, I want it to:
    1. Sense my Wifi connection, turn it on.
    2. Open GV in my browser and switch my forwarding from my cell to chat.
    3. Turn Airplane on (leave wifi on).
    4. At 10:00PM I want Wifi off.
    5. When I leave my driveway I want Airplane off.
    6. Switch GV forwarding from chat to cell.

This should allow normal cell service during day, and use of GrooveIP in Wifi at night (and weekends... more programing). I really doubt this can be done with Tasker, but I would buy it and learn it if it can.

Advertisement

2. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    Only half of that (at most) can be accomplished using tasker.

3. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 12, 2010
    The only thing I am not sure if Tasker will be able to do is switch your GV to and from forwarding. But steps 1,3,4 & 5 are doable as I have variations of them in my different profiles and tasks.

4. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    Can you make it go to a web page after something happens (like wifi is enabled)? If it can go to google.com/voice/m/phones and then send an alarm so I would be reminded to click the forward, that would probably work. There doesn't appear to be a specific web address for the setting in a particular position, so that would be very hard to program (unless it could sense a touched screen position, like column 2, row 4, and apply that without actually having to touch the screen). If tasker is that smart, I'm sure I wouldn't be near smart enough to program it!

5. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 12, 2010
    Let me play with Tasker a bit tonight and see if I can work out something for you and I will post it here.

tcat007 likes this.
  6. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    There are some GV plugins that might work with Tasker. You can search online, and they may do what you want. I haven't tried them (the ones I saw weren't free).

Note that your Tasker will not know you are "in your driveway" or not. It can do location based on a radius, but to be that accurate you'd need to use GPS and that will use a lot of battery, and still won't be as accurate as "in my driveway" in my experience.

Probably better to use "Wifi Near" for your home wifi.

7. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah "Wifi near" is close enough... can't be more than a 2 or 3 minute miss. Don't really want to spend any more than the cost of Tasker, it's not "that" difficult to do manually with shortcuts. And I may decide to just use GrooveIP full time, in which case all I need is the app I'm using by "time" (Power Schedule).

Doesn't Tasker drain a lot of battery if it's running 24/7 trying to figure out what to do?

Thanks MrDJ... be interested in your findings.

8. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    It shouldn't use too much battery as long as you don't have it running a million profiles related to location and movement gestures. I have about 15 active profiles running at all times and Tasker doesn't even show up on my power usage list.