• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tasker uses incorrect GPS location

Been trying to learn Tasker so I started with a task on found online
I created a task that grabs my GPS location and sends it to a Twitter feed every 10 min.
I start the task and it posts while I'm out and about, then when I get to my destination (Locaton A) I stop the task.
Later, when I'm somewhere else several miles away (Location B), I start the task and the first post it sends to the Twitter feed is the GPS coordinates from Location A. Then the next time post in 10 minuets is correct.
My first thought was maybe having a GPS issue, but when I check my location or use an app that will manually post the GPS location to Twitter, then the Location is correct.

any thoughts on how to make it post the correct location when I start the task?

Location (3)
A1: Get Location [ Source:GPS Timeout (Seconds):10 Continue Task Immediately:On Keep Tracking:On ]
A2: Send SMS [ Number:40404 Message:Current Location
http://maps.google.com/?q=%LOC
%DATE %TIME
Battery %BATT% Store In Messaging App:Off ]
A3: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:10 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A4: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:1 Label: ]

With a real phone number this works for me ...
Code:
BBBB
A1: Get Location [ Source:GPS Timeout (Seconds):10 Continue Task Immediately:On Keep Tracking:On ]
A2: Send SMS [ Number:(999)9999999Message:%LOCN
%DATE %TIME %BATT Store In Messaging App:Off ]
A3: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:10 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A4: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:1 Label: ]

... Thom

Upvote 0
The approach to Tasker that I recommend ...

Start out with something simple that works.
Tweak it and see that it works.
Keep tweaking it until you get it to the state that you want.

There are many variables. Tasker is not perfect. Some capabilities have not been incorporated in Tasker. Experimentation is the only thing I can recommend.

I have found GPS reception to be a little flakey as you move around.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Im probably not using the correct terminology. Im pretty new to Tasker and im not afeaid to say it is above my pay grade.

As you can see in my profile posted above, im telling Tasker to get my current GPS location. Before it gets my current location i want to clear the GPS location value otherwise it im having the problem as stated above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones