• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tasker wifi/mobile data

HI Guys,
Just learning how to use Tasker. Searching the internet to get whatever help I can find. One thing I am not seeing that I really want to do is:

When I open the browser (turn wifi on). (I know how to do this)

If wifi is not available ask if I want to turn on mobile data (This is what I can't figure out)

If anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them. Or if someone knows whether or not this is even possible please let me know.

Thanks,
Sean

I'm guessing that you normally have Mobile Data off. Try this:

Profile: Browser Wifi
Context: Application [ Browser ]
Enter Task:
Wifi On
Wait 30 seconds
Perform Task [ Mobile Data Prompt ] If %WIFII Doesn't Match *CONNECTION*
Exit Task:
Wifi Off
Mobile Data Off

Task: Mobile Data Prompt [ type:Menu ]
Mobile Data On [ label:Turn on Mobile Data ]
Stop [ label:Cancel ]

Upvote 0
I managed to figure out the first part of you directions but I am having trouble getting this part:

Any chance you could give me a more step by step instructions.
Sorry to be such a noob. I am usually stubborn enough to find my way through this kind of thing but I just don't seem to know enough to get it worked out.

Thanks
Sean

Upvote 0
I managed to figure out the first part of you directions but I am having trouble getting this part:

Any chance you could give me a more step by step instructions.
Sorry to be such a noob. I am usually stubborn enough to find my way through this kind of thing but I just don't seem to know enough to get it worked out.

Thanks
Sean

You need to create what's called a "menu task" - it only does the ONE thing you pick from the list. To do this, when you're creating your task, at the task edit screen, tap the wrench icon near the bottom to open the task properties dialog, and set the task type to 'Menu'.

When you use the Perform Task action in the profile, it will cause a menu to appear, with whatever labels you specified in the task. Select the first one and it will turn on Mobile Data; select the second one and it will to do nothing. This essentially gives you a yes/no option to turn on Mobile Data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones