• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tasks killed KitKat 4.4.3 on HTC One M8

Hello everyone,
I have a M8 rooted, but with the stock ROM, primarily for use of Onandroid for my backups. I use Tasker to plan and execute my backups, Hacker's Keyboard and an active wallpaper. I encounter a very annoying problem: every 2 to 4 days my wallpaper disappeared, the keyboard is returned to the original HTC and Tasker stopped. I had a few other utilities that would be able to kill tasks, but that I deleted. I still had ES Tasks Manager and 360 Safe Guard that I disabled (of course, I have set my three programs on the "never kill" list). Even if the M8 is rooted, it is strictly original. I asked the question on the Tasker Web site, but nobody seems to know.
I suspect a system process of this calamitous KitKat release, but which one? Does anyone have an idea?
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards.
Daniel.

Hi mruno,
If your M8 works seamlessly with Tasker, it is a good new because it means that my trouble is not coming from something wrong in the system or M8. I have to look to another direction. I begin to think to an appli which could use too much resources (or not releasing) and that cause a lack of memory. So the system could have to take emergency action. Just an idea.
BR.
Daniel.

Upvote 0
The same used to happen to me on my S3 if I was hammering it. Tasker would close then shortly reopen.

Since you are rooted have you not thought about looking into the Xposed modules, there's one called Per App Settings which allows you to set certain app as a resident app so it doesn't get killed by the task manager.

Upvote 0
Thank you, I will look in this direction.
Up to now, I uninstalled several apps (or just utilities) that I don't use often . But the result is poor: my apps (Tasker...) seem not to be killed as often as before, but this is not sufficient.
I reckon to drop this phone and going back to my SGS3 which has always been reliable.
I think there is "system mechanism" behind that, but how to bypass that stays mysterious for me.
BR.

Upvote 0
You could also install 3C Toolbox which gives you a shed load of options for tuning your system, one of them is stop the system from killing apps.

Or if you don't mind really playing with the system stuff, change the values of the OOM which will allow more (or less if you prefer) apps to be open by allowing the OS to use more RAM.

Upvote 0
For the OOM settings in 3C, scroll to the far left and it should be on that page. You can manually tune them or go with presets.

If that fails then look at the Xposed module, as long as you don't use ART. Install Xposed and then get the module Per App Settings. In that you can set an app, such as Tasker and keyboard in this case, as a resident and you phone will not kill it unless it's completely and absolutely necessary.

One other option for Tasker, I may be clutching at straws here, would be to get it to be more active. Have it monitor your device regularly for instance. Like every time the screen switches off. This may help as the device will see it active regularly and not kill it.

I'm unsure as to why your phone is killing these tbh?! Since I see you're in France you had the GT-I9300 which is the same as what I used and I find the HTC to far, far superior to it in multitasking terms. I had to use zram on the S3 to get bearable multitasking.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
Thanks Yatezy, the main problem here, is to understand what is happening. As I was unable to understand, last Friday I decided to reset the device to factory state.
I thought to a weird problem because, when I transfered from my SGS3 to my new M8, I used the Google restore facility and the HTC transfer program for what Google didn't do. I discovered that both process are not so clever and they have restored all what they found, including some apps specific to Samsung. I don't think that what I saw (apps not technical), could perturb Android, but I don't know what other things have been transfered and what could be the consequences.
I have rebuilt all, including rooting and system parameters and restored only my essential programs with Titanium Pro.
Up to now, (I am very careful...) Tasker and my other apps are running for 6 days, it is the first time they stay alive for a so long period.
If it works I'll reinstall progressively Gps programs and other technical utilities.
I'll keep you informed.
BR.
Daniel.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
Some news from France: M8 works well. I reinstalled all my programs including GPS. The trouble seems to be closed.
To conclude I would say for those changing their phone, be very careful with automatic data transfers, it doesn't always work. This is a little longer, but a lot safer to do it manually.
Thank you for those that tried to help me.
Best regards.
Daniel.

Reactions: dan55
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones