1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General TB & Locking in 4G: True or False?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, Mar 21, 2011.

1. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    The running theory is that if we buy the TB now, we will be locked into 4G forever. The problem though is that VZW customer service and store folks state that the grandfathering is only good through your contract. If a change happens during your contract, you are covered. Any changes to pricing or service can be forced after a contract ends, or you buy a new phone that is discounted (and resets the contract).

I know with Tmo, the pricing stayed the same, even after you renewed, so the granfathering was from point of starting as customer. Not sure how this stuff will play out with VZW, but seems if the wanted to kick folks out of unlimited, they can at end of contract.

At&t may change Tmo's tune on contract now, but anybody have insight on how Verizon may approach once tiered kicks in?

Advertisement

2. redraider1

None

Mar 15, 2011
    Once you sign a new contract they can make you get the new plan but usually they will grandfather you but nobody knows for sure when I spoke with verizon they said they would grandfather but we will see once they change plans.

3. TomXP411

TomXP411 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Typically, VZW allows you to keep your current terms until you change plans. At that point, they will push you in to the current terms of the new plan.

I bought a 3G modem back in 2007, and I got it with an Unlimited data plan. Even though my contract was up more than a year ago, my plan stayed as unlimited - up until I switched to the $35/mo 3GB plan. (I use it maybe 2-3 times over a 6 month period, so I was wasting probably $600 a year on a more expensive plan I didn't need.)

Will they force unlimited 4G users in to a cap? I don't know... at worst, they can't change your account for 2 years. However, my guess is that they'll use that 2 years to look at actual use, and make some data cap decisions based on how much people actually use their devices.