• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tea is better than Coffee

Ugh! I'll repeat that, in case it's not clear: UGH!

I can't stand tea. I think part of it is psychological...living in the south, iced tea was a big thing, and I remember it being served, asked for or not, the way water is served elsewhere. The smell of it makes me gag.

A good friend is a tea aficionado; she really knows her tea! So I've had opportunities to drink very good tea...but...UGH. Can't stand it.

One thing we need to consider is that not all countries are big coffee drinkers, like we are in the US. I always knew that tea was the big thing in Britain, unlike here, but really had a chance to learn more when my daughter lived abroad for a year, after graduating from college. She lived and worked in London, but took a lot of side trips, and it was tea, tea, tea!

Upvote 0
Anything added to cloud the taste of either coffee or tea is a down right sin imo. I love both black and though they have their negative effects on the body, I consider them less harmful than any soda beverage. I have likely consumed less than a gallon of water in the last fifty years unless it has been brewed into beer, tea, or coffee. As for one beverage being superior to another, I think that is a matter of individual taste. I've never had a tea or a coffee that I did not enjoy. I've consumed both that I have never longed for again but I enjoyed the flavors presented. After years of drinking both tea and coffee I have settled on tastes that I enjoy. I would hate to do without either. Choosing one over the other... count me out.

Upvote 0
Oh, be that way, @olbriar, mister voice of reason! :eek:

:D
I have likely consumed less than a gallon of water in the last fifty years unless it has been brewed into beer, tea, or coffee.
My mom hated water. Your consumption of it roughly matches hers. But she did love her coffee! A little cream, no sugar. And she could drink tea, but didn't usually actively pursue it.

Upvote 0
My grandmother drank hot water. Just water, nothing added. Boiled it, put it in the fanciest of her china coffee cups and just loved it. Never did get that but she was happy.
Boiling water back in the day was not a bad thing. Personally, I don't consider it a waste of time now. My grandmother was a hot tea drinker. I do believe she added a touch of honey to her tea. Old school loose tea in a balm was her regiment. My parents were water drinker. My mother had her's straight but my father cut his with a great deal of Wellers. I have brewed many gallons of blended tea through the years. Lipton and Luzianne were my go to for decades. For the last decade or so I've been brewing loose leaf Darjeeling tea. A rich black tea that I love over ice. I'm not such a coffee snob. I could be but have resisted. Folgers in my cup has made me happy for sixty years. I know there is a better coffee but I've not explored it for fear I'd add another addiction to my long list. The spice house where I buy my tea is always grinding fresh coffee and the aroma is to die for. I'll succumb some day but for now i buy cheap Folgers.

Upvote 0
.....but for now i buy cheap Folgers.
Folgers?????

yuk. i could never drink that stuff. my parents used to drink that until i bought them a keurig coffee maker. there so many better keurig cups out there that is better then folgers.

for me i use a french press and i get my beans from costco.....or if i'm lazy i mostly get my brew at Peet's. and if i'm desperate i go to Starbucks

Upvote 0
I am, among other things, a huge fan of coffee and tea.
Basically I am a caffeine junky.
I literally go through DTs without it.

As far as which is better, that depends.
I used to drink ½gallon+ of coffee each day.
This did begin to cause some issues, not to mention needing to carry around a large container of the stuff all the time. (Temperature has never been an issue with me.)

I did switch to tea for a while, and some health issues did improve (things like being better hydrated) but it did take a while to get used to the lack of caffeine.

The main issue for me is in the longevity of the stored product. Coffee, especially instant, keeps extrodinarily well over a very long time and is amazingly easy to take with you and use.

Tea, on the other hand, is not so readily found in instant form, and does not keep so well.

Coffee grounds for normal coffee will lose flavor over time, but tea in bags will actually turn into dirt.

Although I have enjoyed teas and coffees from around the world (I have worked in coffee houses) I have always returned to what is simple and gets the job done.

I still love tea, but waiting around for water to boil and then waiting some more for it to steep, then waiting some more for it to cool enough to drink just for 5-6 oz of yum yums is just too much if I am about to have a headache from lack of caffeine.

I can turn on the hot water faucet, dump instant coffee into a mug, and swirl it around while it fills up in a matter of seconds.
Instant coffee = instant fix.
Modern coffee makers make regular coffee exceptionally fast as well, much faster than the ones from years ago.
If you actully need caffiene, coffee is the way to go. That is why it was included in military rations.

If you have all the time in the world to fart around, don't really need the caffeine, and need more hydration properties then tea is the better choice.

Upvote 0
For years I thought coffee was limited to Folgers, hills Bros, and Maxwell House. Then along came Keurig and I turned into a full blown coffee snob) addicted.
Each pay day I was dropping $20-$40 on kcups. I think I tried everything Keurig sold on their official website back in 2010 .
Now it's ten years later my last Keurig died years ago and now on the truck I am back to using a regular coffee maker.
My current selection is Folgers classic roast and Seattle best coffee .
As for the whole coffee vs tea debate I drink both.
There are some nights after a long day of driving I like to unwind with a nice cup of tea

Upvote 0
I drink far more coffee than tea, though oddly my kids are the other way round. But occasionally I drink tea (though I use that word strictly to mean tea, not a fruit tea, herbal infusion or whatever). Coffee will always be black unless we are talking about an ice latte. Tea may or may not contain milk. Neither requires sugar. Tea must always be hot.

That last sentence is the most important. Coffee is better hot, but I can drink it cold just fine. Tea is disgusting when cold. I struggle to accept that anyone who likes iced tea can belong to the same species as me, even the same biosphere is a stretch.

Mixing coffee and tea in the same cup (which I have done by accident when topping up a cup at the end of a coffee break) does not work, no matter what the temperature.

Upvote 0
Mixing coffee and tea in the same cup (which I have done by accident when topping up a cup at the end of a coffee break) does not work, no matter what the temperature.

Hahahaha, I have mixed the two on accident as well!

What a horrid concoction!

I think that my preference in alcohol beverage leads to my oddities in my temperature acceptance of tea and coffee.

As I prefer Scotch and Irish Whiskey, depending upon the whiskey itself is how I like it.

Jameson straight
J&B straight, with water, ice or not
Johnny Walker Red same as above
Johnny Walker Black straight on ice
Johnny Walker Blue straight
Glenlivet straight
Sheep Dip water and ice
Pig's Nose same as above

The temperature is pretty irrelevant, as the point is to stir the drink (or just wait, I guess) to make the ice melt, so that this will change the flavor of the drink. Every sip therefore becomes an adventure in taste, and is quite interesting.

I will put coffee into any of the above in lieu of the water/ice as a great relief when I am ill.
(Most scoff at this until they actually try it)
In a large coffee mug, put 3oz (2 shots) into a fresh, hot, and stong coffee.

Being sick, and it being hot, means that you will sip it.
Sipping it means that you will run it through all the temperature variants.
(Most won't stay awake long enough to finish the whole thing, and will finish it when they wake up.)

Of course, I like putting coffee into my Scotch/Irish Whiskey (Jameson preferred for this) without the need of being ill, too.

But even though I haven't put tea into any adult beverage (but I do enjoy a well made Long Island Ice Tea), and now that I think of it I am curious- I can drink tea over any spectrum of temperature, just as I do coffee.

Darn it, all this talk of drink has made me thirsty!

Upvote 0
For years I thought coffee was limited to Folgers, hills Bros, and Maxwell House. Then along came Keurig and I turned into a full blown coffee snob) addicted.
Each pay day I was dropping $20-$40 on kcups. I think I tried everything Keurig sold on their official website back in 2010 .
Now it's ten years later my last Keurig died years ago and now on the truck I am back to using a regular coffee maker.
My current selection is Folgers classic roast and Seattle best coffee .
As for the whole coffee vs tea debate I drink both.
There are some nights after a long day of driving I like to unwind with a nice cup of tea

Total agreement.

Maxwell House is like an oral suppository (yes, I could have said 'laxative', but 'oral suppository' made me chuckle when it came to mind) as to how it affects mine and my father's digestive system.

Hill's Brothers is just too oily and makes such a mess out of the coffee pot and the coffee cups.

Folger's has the favor and body that I crave.

Kureg just makes coffee made at home as expensive as Starbucks.

Tea, on the other hand, I am more picky.
Although I can enjoy about any kind, if I am making it for myself it is almost always plain, black tea.

Black pekoe tea is what the box says.

I like some of the flavor varients that are available as far as taste, but find that they generally just make the tea weak and the added flavor is also not strong enough as well.

As far as sweetned tea, it is good, but I much prefer it to be unsweetened.

Reactions: joe71 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
So basically your dad had a bit of water in his Weller's... ;)

I drink lots more water now than I used to; I drank a ton of soda when I was lots younger and slowly migrated from that to diet soda (traded lots of sugar for lots of chemicals...) A few years ago I mostly cut that out as well, though I will occasionally have a can of diet soda. Otherwise it's water, coffee and tea, and then alcoholic beverages, in that quantitative order.

I never witnessed either of my parents consuming a soda. Between the fact that neither cared for it and our slim economy, we rarely had soda in the house. Water, milk, and tea was our daily and sometimes orange or tomato juice. I never was a big consumer of sodas and in the mid seventies I simply stopped drinking them. I did not deprive my four children of soda when they were growing up but it was never a staple for them. As adults, none of them drink soda. Three of the four are big coffee drinkers. All four of them enjoy their tea and brewed spirits. Nuts don't fall far from the tree. :)

Reactions: rootabaga
Upvote 0
I got to say that I perfer cofee in the morning, a few creams and Truvia (SP?), sugar subsatute, then water, I drink tea like almost every subsitute for soda since the lock down, I am not attempted to get some either, because I noticed my sleeping has been extremely awesome :)
so yeah that is my at home "diet away from soda for far too long." I drink tea with truivia and also sometimes cream, green, and cherry flavor we have in the house. So yeah, I do drink it more at my side occupation more or less, coffee with three creams, and splenda too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones