• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Teach cat to shut door

I hear you. :) It's definitely easiest to train a brand-new puppy, but I've learned it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

My current example is my helper's dog, who joined my household ≈3 years ago. As with most adult rescues, her true age is unknown, but she was believed to be ≈12 when she moved in, so she's ≈15 now.

She's very good and well-behaved, except that she was always allowed to jump up at people. Granted, at only ≈50 pounds, it's not as catastrophic as with a big dog, but I'm still unsteady on my feet and really just can't have her doing that. From the get-go, I went back to my trusty old bag of tricks and gently taught her not to jump on me. No training treats involved.

Separate from that, I've also taught her a new phrase and routine. Last thing at night she comes to my room, I say "bedtime snack?!", she lies down, then I hand her a chew...thing. [They vary daily, but keep her busy gnawing for 3-10 minutes.] She learned that in less than two weeks! :D
I love these tales of old dogs and new tricks! My beloved was still learning new phrases well past her tenth birthday. But the first she ever learnt from me was, "Hoover up!" That one she learnt amazingly fast. Not that I drop food very often or anything like that...

A friend inherited a black labrador when he was eleven, and taught him, "Stop dribbling" in Russian. :)

A lot of it is one-on-one loving attention, I'm certain. And consistency.

Upvote 0
A lot of it is one-on-one loving attention, I'm certain. And consistency.
Yes, absolutely. That's what's worked for me for many decades.

I cringe when I think of people smacking a pet in the face with a newspaper...or hand... I've had rescue cats and dogs who were 'gun shy' because they'd been treated that way. They'd close their eyes and cower at the sight of a hand coming toward their face... just makes me want to cry.

With those pets I gently, consistently showed them that human hands are warm, loving, wonderful things that can scratch their chins and give them tummy rubs. With each, I knew we were past the hurdle when there was no longer any hint of fear as my hand approached their face. But it never stopped making me sad, and mad, that they'd been abused before. :( :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones