1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

*Teach Me* Revert to V3, And Root, Then Flash Rooted V4 ROM.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Yawdar, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Yawdar

Yawdar Lurker

Well, long story short I've basically never used anything but towel root, and we all know what happened to that in V4. Derp, i went and updated.

Let me start off by saying, i'm rather tech savvy. Except anything but dealing with windows is foreign to me, but i cant live without my root. I would like someone, to the best of their ability, teach me like a baby. I need links, small words, and simplification.

And before anyone goes forum happy on me, i know all these resources are available on individual posts, but i just cant seem to grasp it, simply because it is people who generally know what they are up to, talking to like minded people.

• Tell me the programs i will need.
    • Perhaps link them to me.
    • Explain to me how to revert to V3.
    • Teach me how to root (I'm assuming ill just TowelR it up)
    • Then teach me how to put the V4 Odexed Rooted image that is flying around the forum, onto my phone.
    EDIT: After some research, i have seen some people brick their phone trying to revert to v3. Are these people dumb? or is this a large risk?

EDIT: I have virgin mobile, don't know how much that matters.

PS: I really don't want to come off as a presumptuous man, i do not expect anything magical from you lovely people. I just really want to stress that i want to be taught how to do some of this in a way i can understand it, so that i can learn, rather than just do it once. I am not tech stupid, i have just simply never played with android like this.

pyrolad and DaKillaWilla like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. spocko

spocko Well-Known Member

I'm still reading up on the process myself, but here are a few pointers in case you haven't already seen them.

This thread has the general instructions, although maybe not in the detail that you are looking for:
    http://androidforums.com/volt-all-things-root/874943-so-you-upgraded-z4-lost-root-guide.html

This post has some additional guidance that may be helpful:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/rom-zv4-updated-stock-rom.872005/page-10#post-6759088

----
    Edit: I was able to root and flash using the info in those 2 threads, but my phone came with ZV3 so I didn't need to downgrade.

A couple more links . . .

LG USB driver:
    http://tool.xcdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=UW00120120425

Minimal ADB/Fastboot package:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

Just take your time and read a lot before attempting anything.

#2 spocko, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  3. chucksaysblah

chucksaysblah Android Enthusiast

4. vidrazor

vidrazor Newbie

This stuff is open heart surgery. I don't understand any of the terminology being used, and subsequently how to go about doing it. This is really annoying that this ZV4 can't be simply rooted. I'm ready to smash this phone.

Yawdar and mjhealy1978 like this.
  5. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

No, it's not. Boot into download mode, flash v3 ROM with lg flash tool. Root with towelroot, zero out laf, use fastboot to load cwm, install v4 ROM. Done

The instructions are clearly laid out in numerous threads, I'm not going into detail here.

mjhealy1978 and chucksaysblah like this.
  6. DravenXcore

DravenXcore Well-Known Member

It's really not as simple as it sounds. Someone who has no knowledge of this stuff, are pretty confused and lost when it comes to zeroing out laf and using fastboot. Doesn't matter how easily some people think it's clearly mapped out, it's unfamiliar territory, and some may need extra help.

bostonbb, TegraDroid and mjhealy1978 like this.
  7. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

Someone should create a script that automates some of the process. I would but it's been a while since I've used windows and I may be a bit rusty.

CrimsonToker likes this.
  8. vidrazor

vidrazor Newbie

Yes it its. Too many links, too many instructions, too unknown terminology and processes. Recipe for disaster.

9. adamkosis

adamkosis Member

Here's all I did to revert back to V3, the rest to get the modified V4 is very easy now since we have an official recovery:

1. Download the LG Drivers (Download the latest version of LG G3 USB drivers for all variants | AndroMods)

2. Download the .tot (https://mega.co.nz/#!lAImESRI!fzpKjwS5n0cV73BMkUQNLAUk73xE6lmcc4UmeaDdorE)

3. Download LG Flash Tool/DLL (https://mega.co.nz/#!QdJA2RxK!iLmXWf0LXqbxsUtD6vNmnhhR4pTfJTW2Np3HWE2_hQo)

4. Download the megalock.dll (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2HGbpXvpDInLWFNd0tBX2hqN0U&authuser=0) put it where you installed Lg Flash Tool (ex. [C:\LG\LGFlashTool])

5. Launch LG Flash Tool, select option 3 if it asks. Select "Manually select DLL". Find "LGLS740_20140414_LGFLASHv160.dll" that should have been in the LG Flash Tool zip. Then click Add and find "LS740ZV3_17.33030_Secure.tot" which should be in the huge 1gb zip you downloaded. Then be sure to select Board_DL and press OK.

6. Turn off phone, plug one end into the phone and the other end into your USB. Press and hold Vol. Up until the DL screen appears.

7. Go to Control Panel on your PC, go to Device Manager, find Ports, find the one that has LG in it or anything identical. Double click and go to the Ports tab, click Advanced and change Port to COM41, if in use just hit Ok anyway.

8. Go back to LG Flash Tool, click the big "Play" like arrow button. It will say READY above COM41. Hold power until you see nothing but a black screen, immediately press and hold Vol. Up, keep holding until it starts flashing the file.

9. When it boots into Mini OS, touch Ok and hold Power and touch Normal boot.

10. Now you're back into V3, you're welcome. Now Update you PRL and you're good to re-root and flash the recovery and the modded V4! This is the beginning to something big.

JoshD, Phil42, PaganRitual and 4 others like this.
  10. vidrazor

vidrazor Newbie

Thanks for trying to simplify this, but I have some questions.
    What is a .tot file? Is that a factory or custom OS install?
    Will the LG Flash Tool run on XP, or do I need something like 7?
    What is the purpose of the megalock.dll if I'm installing the LGLS740_20140414_LGFLASHv160.dll?
    In your step 8, is there an indicator on the phone screen the process has begun?
    In your step 9, are these commands done on the phone screen or the computer?
    Assuming I successfully make it to step 10, what is a PRL? If I'm back at V3, can't I just run Towelroot and be done with it? I don't understand the whole "re-root and flash the recovery and the modded V4" business.
    Thanks for your reply.

11. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

A tot file is just the format for the factory ROM for the LG Flash tool, which will run on XP (although you should get off XP for other Windows related reasons).
    Megalock.dll allows the program to run, the LGLS740.dll tells it what phone you have and how to install.
    Yes, there is a progress bar on the phone, everything past this point is phone based.

12. Runs fine in XP (tried in VMWare). I assume because LGFlashTool is for factories it needs something (MegaLock.dll) so it runs and doesn't lock you out. There is an indicator in % on both the phone and computer screen. MiniOS is on the phone. Touch OK and then hold power and scroll down to Normal Boot. A PRL is a preferred roaming list. Usually it changes your signal and thigs like that, sometimes it doesn't. [I see it as a placebo..]If you're on ZV3, run Towelroot, and flash the bumped recovery image using Flashify. Then flash the zip for the ZV4 update. (Radio is optional.)

13. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

There are a lot of improvements in v4. You want to be on it, but it's your call.

You don't have to flash the radio, but I would. I was having some problems with the v3 radio.

14. DaKillaWilla

DaKillaWilla Well-Known Member

Is there a stock zv4 untouched but rooted zip?

15. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

16. DaKillaWilla

DaKillaWilla Well-Known Member

17. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

It's deodexed and zip aligned (both very good things), but it's not debloated.

The new version was going to be lightly debloated, but there was an issue with the install script and was removed.

Regardless, it's your only option for a stock v4 ROM.

The radio and kernel on that have to be installed separately, BTW.

DaKillaWilla likes this.
  18. Ive done everything right but i cant get the process to start. LG Flash tool just says "Previous Load Failed" nor do I see a com41 lit up even though I added it correctly in Device Manager. Can anyone help? I have a windows vista pc.

19. adamhos1234

adamhos1234 Android Expert

Try unplugging your phone for a sec...if not reboot to DL mode and verify the port is still 41

20. Yes I did that several times by instinct. The phone still showed up under 41 under device manager but it never has actually lit up as such in the LG Flash Tool.

EDIT : I just removed the tot file and re added it and all of sudden the process sprung to life. Not sure why I needed to do that lol but wooo, now rooted and on the zv4 ROM. Can't wait for CM11.

#20 carnivalrejectq, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  21. PaganRitual

PaganRitual Lurker

THIS POST, right here, needs to be the first post of a stickied topic. adamkosis, thank you!!!

#21 PaganRitual, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  22. mbwd

mbwd Member

This is a great guide. Thanks! Coupled with the first post of this thread, it should be all anyone needs -- even folks like me who get a little antsy with the recovery tool.

If it helps anyone:

1) don't forget to put the megalocks.dll in the same folder where you installed the LG Flash Tool (ex. [C:\LG\LGFlashTool]). If you forget, you will get an authentication error on the tool that will waste your time.

2) be careful when you download the LG drivers. The download page is full of spam program downloads that you definitely don't want and may accidentally select, thinking that it is the driver download. If you don't see the COM option in Device Manager, then you did not download/install the drivers.

23. vidrazor

vidrazor Newbie

"1) don't forget to put the megalocks.dll in the same folder where you installed the LG Flash Tool..."

OK, another question; do you have to rename that .dll to the .dll that resides in there, or will this somehow take care of business on it's own? Thanks.

24. spocko

spocko Well-Known Member

Don't rename anything. Just copy MegaLock.dll into the same folder as the LG Flash Tool, replacing the file that is already there.

25. vidrazor

vidrazor Newbie

"Don't rename anything. Just copy MegaLock.dll into the same folder as the LG Flash Tool, replacing the file that is already there."

So should I REMOVE the .dll file that's in there, because there is no file in there called MegaLock.dll to "replace". I don't understand this phase of this.

Also, I'm curious, why do you have to downgrade to V3 before installing the *modded* V4? Why not just install the modded V4 directly without having to go back and forth?

My phone is notifying me of yet another upgrade to LS740ZV4_08_to_ZV5_07 (which I will not do), I'll assume they'll be a modded version of this as well, or does it not really matter? I guess it doesn't unless there's a some kind of massive security hole.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews