• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Teamviewer Beta Released

Teamviewer today released their free-for-personal-use Teamviewer App for Android (Beta; click "Mobile" to download).

Install it on your Android phone, and the appropriate server software on your PC or Mac (or anybody else's PC or Mac; click "Windows", "Mac", or "Linux" to download), start up both, exchange ID and password, and you can remotely operate that PC or Mac, from your Android phone.

Ideal for 24/7 access to (the power and the storage of) your own computer at home, wherever you are (not necessarily via Wi-Fi!), without having to schlep around a laptop or a tablet. Or to help someone else with computer problems: you can instantly take over their desktop, while they can see what is happening on their own screen.

Of course it isn't very fast, depending on your connections. And the screen real estate on a phone sucks. So you won't suddenly be doing any heavy desktop work on your phone. But it's an ideal backstop, imo.

Try it out, and let the forum members know how (if) you like it, and if it's at all useful to you.

Upvote 0
Anybody tried this out? I've tried pretty much all the others, and just found them not particularly usable. Does this support BT keyboard/mouse? Pinch Zooming?

I'm not sure what BT is supposed to mean, but Teamviewer does support "keyboard/mouse" and "Pinch Zooming". Yes, I tried it out, with my Nexus One and iMac at home, and it does work! Fast on Wi-Fi, slower on 3G, and like molasses on 1G. But it does work!

But why don't you try it out for yourself? It's free for personal use.

Upvote 0
BT= bluetooth. If it were compatible then with TV Out my phone becomes quite a usable remote PC.

I just tried it out, it kind works, but you still need to use the onscreen cursor for the BT mouse to control the cursor that Teamviewer uses. Would obviously be more useful if it didn't need to do that. Still, its more accurate than using your finger, makes it relatively usable (if I had some reasonably urgent purpose for using this functionality its good enough as is).

Upvote 0
Blackvyper - It's possible that your net connection was just slow. I installed it this morning, and tried it with several remote astronomy observatories I support, all around the world. Some are on rather slow connections. The Android TeamViewer client worked fine, though on the slow/satellite connections it was laggy, but that's clearly NOT a TeamViewer issue. The sites that are on landline/faster connections, though, were very usable.

This is a great addition to a fantastic product line. I happily paid for the Business license, as well as the discounted V5->V6 upgrade today. These people have done the computing world a great service. Nothing else compares.

I am not affiliated with TeamViewer, I am just a happy customer.

Upvote 0
is anyone having an issue with connection? i am trying to use it to remoely connect to my desktop and i can connect once or maybe 2 times but after the " play fair" nag shows i am unable to log onto my computer until i reboot.

Until you reboot your computer or your phone?
And maybe you should add some info like what device or PC you have, what OS it's running, what messages you get, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones