• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tech 21 screen protector damaged my screen

divybc

Apr 16, 2016
Hello guys,

I am new here, but in need of some serious advice.

I signed up for a new contract for a Galaxy S7 and so far, so good with the phone.

I couldn't find a screen protector anywhere and decided to go into my local three store here in the UK where I bought the phone.

They recommended to me the tech 21 screen protector here: https://www.tech21.com/en_us/impact-shield-screen-protector-for-samsung-galaxy-s7-anti-glare

I followed the install instructions perfectly and I just wasn't satisfied with this whole "wet install" procedure.

After that, I decided to take the protector off and just return it (I haven't returned it yet, too late at night), but when taking it off I noticed a sort of dead pixel under my screen. Now I am very good at noticing things and this caught my eye right away (I have hawk eyes for things that aren't right on technology).

With that being said, also when I breathe onto the screen these solid 3 vertical marks are constantly there. When the breathe evaporates, the marks disappear which lead me to believe it has also permanently affected the screen in some way.

The most annoying part is this very small dead pixel that just won't go away and the reason I know it's a dead pixel is because it cannot be wiped clear.

SORRY FOR THE LONG READ, BUT I AM JUST FRIGHTENED THREE WILL PUSH ME AWAY AND THINK I'M FULL OF CRAP AS THIS IS MY SECOND DEVICE NOW (THE FIRST ONE WAS CONFIRMED FAULTY BY THEM) BUT THIS SCREEN PROTECTOR WHICH THEY SELL AND STAND BY HAS ESSENTIALLY DAMAGED MY SCREEN. WHETHER IS BE SMALL, BIG OR NOT, IT HAS STILL DONE DAMAGE.

Please advise guys, sorry for the caps up there, what would you do?

Don't worry about what ANYONE thinks & take it back for another (S7).
I'm not familiar w/ U.K.'s consumer protection laws,but,I'm guessing y'all on the other side of the pond have at least as good,if not better,protection than what us Yankees are afforded.

I had a similar experience w/T-Mobile & the Blackberry Priv earlier this year & after a 3rd faulty device,I'd had enough & went back to my previous phone:
http://androidforums.com/threads/blackberry-priv-ive-got-mine-thread.993659/#post-7213408

The CSR's @ T-Mobile were more than willing to accommodate & I bet 3 will do the same for you.

Upvote 0
In my meager opinion, I really don't think the screen protector did the damage with the pixel.
I mean, glass is really resilient and the screen underneath the glass (the name escapes me, sorry) is protected by the glass.

I would 2nd @KOLIO 's advice.... take it back....dead pixels on a new device are unacceptable. ;)

By the way, welcome to AF!!!!

Upvote 0
Awesome advice guys! I really thank you guys and I will be returning it tomorrow.

I will keep you guys updated and hopefully get another device, that's two faulty s7's in a row now.

Glad to be a part of a helpful community!
Please do keep us posted. :thumbsupdroid:
FWIW,I had a 50" TV that developed a dead pixel the 1st week I had it.
One pixel,I could probably forgive,but,it was square in the middle of the screen,kinda hard NOT to see it.
It was a Pain In The Arse to box it back up & return it,but,glad I did.
I imagine a dead pixel on a phone would be the proverbial elephant in the room,glad you decided to return it. :)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Please do keep us posted. :thumbsupdroid:
FWIW,I had a 50" TV that developed a dead pixel the 1st week I had it.
One pixel,I could probably forgive,but,it was square in the middle of the screen,kinda hard NOT to see it.
It was a Pain In The Arse to box it back up & return it,but,glad I did.
I imagine a dead pixel on a phone would be the proverbial elephant in the room,glad you decided to return it. :)

Yes it's on the bottom right corner and I verified it with one of those apps that switch colors. It's small, but it obviously would be with the resolution on this phone, but as you guys said, a dead pixel is not acceptable.

They will probs think I'm a psycho, but I'm not paying all that money for a defect even the slightest one.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Mikestony and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I'm not convinced the protector would cause this too.

For me your link opens up to an error page.

In the Uk a person has 30 days from receipt of the phone to have it replaced.

After that timeframe it's a repair via the manufacturer warranty if the issue is covered under those T&C.

Hope all goes well for you.

I personally do not use those types of protectors ~ I use Tempered Glass Sceeen Options.

Reactions: Mikestony and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I'm not convinced the protector would cause this too.

In the Uk a person has 30 days from receipt of the phone to have it replaced.

After that timeframe it's a repair via the manufacturer warranty if the issue is covered under those T&C.

Hope all goes well for you.
I spoke to their customer support and they said it doesnt affect the phones functionality and wont be replaced. According to three uk they will not take returns from in store purchases, only online.

I'm not sure what to do. All I know its this very small pixel is gona drive me mad on a 9 day old device.

Upvote 0
I spoke to their customer support and they said it doesnt affect the phones functionality and wont be replaced. According to three uk they will not take returns from in store purchases, only online.

I'm not sure what to do. All I know its this very small pixel is gona drive me mad on a 9 day old device.

Nothing like real facetime vs over-the-phone/on-line.
I wouldn't accept anything less than a new handset.
3 UK can't just thumb their nose at ya,especially if the law says different.

Reactions: divybc
Upvote 0
Anyone here good with Law or anything. Can I cancel the direct debit and just return the phone to the store and walk off?

Last option above unless someone can give me solid advise.

Do not cancel your Direct Debit as in uk contracts the phone is separate from the actual mobile phone contract. A person does usually have a cooling off period to cancel. You'd need to check the networks T&C.

If you fail to pay you could end up with late payment fee's and in the extreme late markers and a default on your Credit File for 6 years which could affect future attempts for credit,mortgages and mobile phone contracts etc.

Upvote 0
Do not cancel your Direct Debit as in uk contracts the phone is separate from the actual mobile phone contract. A person does usually have a cooling off period to cancel. You'd need to check the networks T&C.

If you fail to pay you could end up with late payment fee's and in the extreme late markers and a default on your Credit File for 6 years which could affect future attempts for credit,mortgages and mobile phone contracts etc.
So go in store and show them that page you linked and dont walk out without a new phone?

Reactions: BandOfBrothers
Upvote 0
T

Thank you! Does this apply to contract phones as well?

Yes it blanket covers faulty items.

They may try to put you off with a repair but stand your ground and quote the act. Ask for the store manager and take names / date and time if they refuse. Then start using their email address / ceo contact. Don't let it go over 30 days.

Upvote 0
So go in store and show them that page you linked and dont walk out without a new phone?

This is what I would do. If you can print it out so its ready.

Go into the shop and be polite and show the fault first. Ask if they have the phones in stock before talking about your phone so they then cannot say they have no stock.

If you run into resistance ask to speak to the manager. If they say the manager is not in / busy ask for the area managers name / contact info and for their CEO details. This may ruffle their feathers.

I hope all this isn't necessary and they see sense and give good customer support.

Upvote 0
This is what I would do. If you can print it out so its ready.

Go into the shop and be polite and show the fault first. Ask if they have the phones in stock before talking about your phone so they then cannot say they have no stock.

If you run into resistance ask to speak to the manager. If they say the manager is not in / busy ask for the area managers name / contact info and for their CEO details. This may ruffle their feathers.

I hope all this isn't necessary and they see sense and give good customer support.
I hope so too, but I have got a copy of this and I appreciate the constant help.

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Looking forward to a positive update.

I'm looking at buying a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge ~ Sim free ~ from the dedicated Samsung Shop in my City Centre so posts like yours are interesting ~ especially to see what type of support is given.

So guys, I have an update.

After spending 40 minutes in the shop she finally "recreated the fault". Supposedly they have to recreate the dead pixel in store and it took her 40 minutes to find it lol.

After that she went in the back and got a new phoned, took it out the box and handed me it, no accessories or anything, just gave me back my old box.

One slight concern, the old box has the old phones IMEI number etc on it, will that matter at any time?

Upvote 0
Good outcome.

Weird they retained the original box !

It may cause an issue if you intend to sell it in the future with the box as its imei won't match with the boxes sticker.

You may need to update any insurance companies / bank account mobile cover with its new imei number and ensure your network customer service is fully aware of the swap and update your new imei number on your account too.

Just incase.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update!!
I agree with @BandOfBrothers .....I would get the box for your new/current device as it indeed should have the sticker on it with important numbers including the IMEI ;)
Give them the old one from your defect...it doesn't do you any good, and if anything, the store would probably need it for warranty ?

Reactions: divybc
Upvote 0
Thanks for the update!!
I agree with @BandOfBrothers .....I would get the box for your new/current device as it indeed should have the sticker on it with important numbers including the IMEI ;)
Give them the old one from your defect...it doesn't do you any good, and if anything, the store would probably need it for warranty ?
I got it.

I noticed on my new receipt says "R Galaxy S7" I assume this means replacement and not refurbish, right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones