1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Technical question re phone language settings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by westbros, Aug 27, 2010.

1. westbros

westbros Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    OK, here comes a somewhat technical question. I am going to buy a Desire in the near future. It is quite possible that I will be moving to Scandinavia during the lifetime of my new contract, and I would very much like to switch the phone language to Norwegian or Swedish. I also need to be able to send text messages in these languages - I know there is a Scandinavian Keyboard app that will allow me to do this, so that is not the issue here. But I would like to be able to set my phone in Norwegian/Swedish as well.

I thought I had solved the problem when I discovered an unbranded and unlocked demo Desire in my local 3 Store, as this included my required languages. But when I went to look at a phone with a view to buying, I discovered that 3 now brand and lock their phones. For obvious reasons I need an unbranded and unlocked phone if I'm moving overseas. So I tried the Carphone Warehouse, but their unbranded unlocked phones include only English, French, Spanish and Italian.

I suspect that the language availability must be set in the software. I have jotted down the details of the software on the 2 phones I have looked at:

3 UK
    Firmware 2.1 Update 1
    Baseband 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11
    Kernel 2.6.29-97da29ed htc-kernel@and18-2#1
    Build 1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys
    Software 1.15.405.4
    Browser WebKit 3.1

CPW
    Firmware 2.1 Update 1
    Baseband 32.41.00.32U_4.08.00.09
    Kernel 2.6.29-0cb9f166 htc-kernel@and18-2#1
    Build 1.21.405.2 CL174215 release-keys
    Software 1.21.405.2
    Browser WebKit 3.1

Does anybody know what specifically in the software determines the available phone languages? What am I looking for in the software info that would indicate the language availability? It would seem that the software on the 3 UK is older that the CPW one. How can I get a more up to date software that includes all the languages? Is this possible at all, and where can I find it? Is there anything I need to know about this sort of modification, such as impact on warranty etc?

Sorry for the long posting. I hope someone can give me some pointers. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. philarmer

philarmer Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Newton Abbot, UK
    I got my phone from CPW which had the above firmware. Languages on my phone are

English (UK)
    English (Ireland)
    French
    Italian
    Spanish

As for the 3 handset I don't know, hopefully someone else with a 3 handset could shed some light on this.

I think you can add other languages but this requires you to root the device

Tags: