• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tegra 3 games, on the Ascend.

Since the Ascend had its own quad core prosessor, will we be able to play Tegra 3 only games like Shadowgun?

I would assume that if there is such a thing as a 'Tegra 3 only game', then the answer is no. Is there really such a thing as a Tegra 3 only game?

I didn't realize there were processor-specific games being produced. That's so limiting and short-sighted. Talk about minimizing your market!

If that is one of your criteria for a new phone then I guess your choice is limited.

HTC One X, isn't it?

Upvote 0
I just had a look at the Tegra Zone site and it introduces itself thus:

"TegraZone is the place to be for games optimized for your Tegra-powered devices."

For me the operative word is "optimized", implying that the games chosen for the site will work on other GPUs but maybe not as efficiently.

However, with a top end quad core phone, maybe the sheer processing power would make up for not being optimized. For example many PC games are optimized for nVidia graphics cards in line with the 'The Way it's Meant to be Played' programme of cooperation between games developers and nVidia, but the games still play brilliantly on high spec ATI cards, even though not optimized.

And doesn't the Ascend D Quad come with 16 GPU cores rather than the Tegra 3's 12 cores?

Reactions: Nagrom
Upvote 0
Don't forget about Tegra 3+ which is coming later this year and is based on A15 and has 24 GPU cores with support for Direct X 11, OpenGL 4 and PhysX.
Tegra games are typically regular games enhanced with some effects and marked with "THD". It's nice to see those because no matter what other GPU phone/tablet you will buy, you will not see games dedicated for that hardware, nvidia is exception here. Sure there might be plugins to allow to play Tegra games on other hardware, but it's not certain and not without small issues. And its funny that whenever we buy non-Tegra device (like my previous phone SGS2, we want to run Tegra games so badly because they are the best looking games).
Also, Tegra 4 is already announced coming next year, so future is bright.

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sure but I think Riptide GP is Tegra only, unless you go around it with the Chainfire plugin.
See if you can find it in your market, if not, then it is the above.

I can't check myself because the update nag is forcing it to appear.

---edit
I was just watching a D Quad video on youtube (Mobile World Congress) and it was running Riptide GP :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones