1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tegra Note 7; vertical lines on screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by unununium, Jan 15, 2014.

1. unununium

unununium Newbie
    None

Oct 22, 2013
    There was no subforum for this so gonna whack it in here; just bought this tablet, it has a 1200x800 ips dislay, however I can clearly see vertical shiny lines going down the screen.
    These are most visible when the display (or tablet) is completely switched off, however I can still see them with the display on in certain light conditions (if a light source is directed at the screen)
    I have uploaded a picture to give a better idea.

What I want to know really is whether this is a normal phenomenon or if I have a faulty product, as I've never seen anything like this on a screen before.

On a side note, why is there no subforum for the tegra note 7? I found this odd considering some of the obscure devices that do have their own space on here.

Picture;
    Note 7.jpg

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Most definitely not normal. If it's "normal" for the Tegra, I'd buy another brand. I've never seen anything like that on a new phone before (and I was in the business since long before bagphones).

3. unununium

unununium Newbie
    None

Oct 22, 2013
    Thanks, well I've googled it like mad, and it's near impossible to find any reference to this issue; the closest I got was a line from trustedreviews;

"It’s a little reflective to use outdoors and you can begin to notice the visible lines that comprise the capacitive touch system. This all combines to make the Tegra Note 7's screen a shade disappointing"
    Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 review

What I'd really need is another user to confirm this is normal, until I get time to go back to the store I got it from (25 miles away) to compare it with their display model (or any other one they have, i'll get them to unbox a new mofo if needs be haha)

:/

4. zimzam

zimzam Lurker
    None

Jan 23, 2014
    Well I can confirm I have the same issue. I just got mine today, and now I'm shipping it back. Care to update as to whether you got a new one without the horizontal lines?

5. unununium

unununium Newbie
    None

Oct 22, 2013
    I've held on to it to see if I got any other responses, and now you've said you have the same I'm assuming it's just the way they're made.
    It's a beast of a tablet in every other aspect, but I've never seen a screen like this.
    The manufacturer is impossible to contact, as are nvidia themselves :/

6. unununium

unununium Newbie
    None

Oct 22, 2013
    I can now confirm that this is not a faulty model, just a bad design choice.
    If you watch and pause where the light shines on the screen in this video review you can see the vertical lines, and this video is sponsored by the main retailer of the unit in the UK so I highly doubt they would have been issued a faulty display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRGcrbfgG2s

Perhaps next time they'll make more effort to hide the capacitive grid (or whatever this is)

7. zab

zab Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2014
    got the same... did you return yours? and if you got a new one did it happen again?

8. MOE8

MOE8 Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2014
    I have been thinking of buying the tegra note 7 from currys and pc world, I have been comparing a lot of tablets within this price range from samsungs 8 inch gts3 to asus memo pad to the kobo arc hd 7 to others. The best by far is the advent tegra note 7 "ATN7". However I went to check out the tablet at currys next to where I live and I realised that there are lines in the background, I first thought that this is a display tablet and it might have had a couple of hits or something since most reviews state the build quality is not like the nexus. So I asked one of the guys who works there and he said that this is normal. I truly found that hard to believe as I would not spend 140 pounds for something that would make my experience complete. I still find this hard to believe since there is so much going for this tablet and the reviews mention nothing of this. Has anyone returned their tablet and has gotten a better one from currys? I really hope these are just faulty tablets and you are given better tablets.

9. id05dav

id05dav Newbie
    None

Sep 11, 2011
    That's completely normal. You guys have never seen the screen on an Ipod? They have the exact same thing, it's a grid for the touchscreen. My tegra note 7 has it too, and it does not affect usability in the slightest bit. I can never see it when I'm using it, and it is very hard to see with the screen off. Ever wonder how they're able to make the stylus so damn good on our devices?

10. MOE8

MOE8 Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2014
    Thanks for the info, but to be honest that does not make it any better :(
    I have already purchased a LG G pad 8.3, lovely device but I screwed it up using a wet applied screen protector, I am thinking of exchanging it but a lot of problems with light bleed and I dont know if it worth the risk. I can always get my money back and buy the tegra, but I have invested so much in accessories I dont know if it is worth it. The screen is really good and memory and everything about the LG is amazing, dont know if I can go down to a 7 inch now:thinking: