• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telephone Calls with Gmail - Voice Plugin

Has anyone been able to make voice calls using the google talk plugn in gmail? I set my browser to desktop user agent and logged into gmail. I was able to get the little phone dialog box to pop up but it said I needed the voice plug in. It then must have detected the OS and offered me 32/64 bit Ubntu or Fedora plug ins. Has anyone been able to get this to work??

/

Saw this in another thread but haven't tried it: Google Voice - xda-developers

Thanks for the tip. I would love to try it but my Asus is dead. My career as an Asus fanboy lasted all of four days. I love the form factor, I think there is nothing out there that can compete with it. But that love and pride for my machine has turned into shame and disgust for the company.

I just bought a new Asus Eee Transformer along with the keyboard dock for my trip to San Francisco this week. I bought it Thursday, charged it overnight, used it Friday through Sunday. I got it all configured with my accounts, the software I want to use, and I even downloaded some movies to watch on the plane. Monday morning I get to the airport and I go to turn it on, I get nothing, the screen was black.

So I contacted customer service, no replacement offered, I have to pay to ship the computer to them for the repair! I was shocked. This is not the type of service I would get from HP or Dell. A very disappointing experience that has made me not want to recommend the Asus Transformer to people.

Upvote 0
Ok, time for an update on my Love and Hate of my Asus Eee Pad Transformer. I loved the little guy for 3 full days before the screen went black. I was at the airport on my way back to the Palo Alto area for some more meetings with potential investors in X-trinsic when I had a moment to open my Transformer. I love the way is folds like a little sub notebook when it is docked with the keyboard, the textured case and weight make it feel great.

So when I opened it up, what do I get, a black screen! Nothing. I tried all sorts of hard reset options and nothing. Asus wants me to pay to ship the item back to them for a repair. Day 4 of ownership and I have to pay to send it for repair. +Michael Dell would never set such a policy for Dell. Needless to say, I am still very disappointed in Asus and their customer support policies.

The story does get better as I bought the Transformer from Newegg, I contacted them today. Newegg put me through to their tech support group. Amazingly, the Newegg tech support group was more knowledgeable about the issue that Asus. He had me try several different debug and reset steps. In the end nothing could wake my sleeping beauty and it needed to go back. The pleasant part of the story comes from Newegg's return policy. They will send me a free shipper label and put the device through the paces. I they can not get it operational, they will send me a new one at no cost.

For those of you keeping score that is Newegg +2 and Asus -2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones