• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telephones

RLH

Jun 20, 2019
Don't you miss when a phone was a phone when it rang you were excited to see who's calling you but now days it's nothing but car warranty is up, school loans, your Google listing is out of date.....yadda yadda yadda today's phone are an endless search of information that will make your head spin around like on the movie the Exorcist! Don't get me wrong I love the information I'm able to understand but everything is so linked to just a click I can't tell what is real or fake anymore and its causing a lot of problems for me I'm sorry I usually don't say anything on anywhere for the fear of being hacked into not even quite sure what that means and I have nothing cyberly to steal besides my sanity! But I just had to tell someone or something this shit is driving me nutts!!!! I have to many questions and not enough mind space to begin to ask! Sorry so long and thanks for letting me rant! Even if nobody cares at least I wrote it here wherever here is??

I don't know. I do miss the days where talked to one another rather then communicate via text or social media...... that part I agree.

But I need my phone mainly for GPS if anything. I don't want to spend extra money on an actual GPS unit, when I could just use my phone.

I agree phones can be very useful in many ways it's just sometimes in overwhelming the places it takes you Remember paper maps and if you got lost it was kinda an adventure don't get me wrong getting lost can be very frustrating but when the phone is telling you exactly how to get there and it's the wrong place altogether and you have to start all over if phones worked like they use to you would be able to reach the person on the other end of the phone and ask them where they are and if it's a place where there are no people wouldn't it be more fun to try and find it on a roadmap instead of listening to a robot voice that may or may not be right? More right than wrong these days but technology is unfathomable today! I do love the covenance of having everything from pumpkins to what color is the sky at your finger tips but like right now does what I'm saying even matter it's only one persons frurasted opinion but thank for replying although we'll never meet at least we can say we had almost a conversation you know in the PHONE WORLD!$^=÷_%'##^:÷×/<ahhhhhh just playing nice talking with you

Upvote 0
I don't know. I do miss the days where talked to one another rather then communicate via text or social media...... that part I agree.

But I need my phone mainly for GPS if anything. I don't want to spend extra money on an actual GPS unit, when I could just use my phone.

Did that even go through to you? I don't know but I can't see what I said but anyways have a good night I hope it went to you but ? If not no big deal just small talk about nothing really anyways

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I don't have a car, I don't know anything about Google listings, and school loans is someone else's problem, I'm a teacher now, and my student days are long gone.

I miss the days of actually writing letters, or recording cassettes, and posting them, then waiting days or even weeks for a reply, when I wanted to talk to those far away. Also miss those expensive international phone calls. I miss the days of using hard currency to pay for things, when I can just use my phone now.

Upvote 0
i remember going to mapquest when i wanted to get someplace. i had to print it out and use that to get me some where.......lol
Mapquest was far superior to the atlas. :)
I had use of a very early GPS system. The receiver set on the dash and plugged into the cigarette lighter. It communicated to a laptop.
You booted it all up and waited about five minutes for it to acquire the birds. Once up and running you could tell it where you wanted to go and it would give you pop up directions like take exit 17A in half a mile for example. It worked... mostly. I don't remember what the name of the software the hardware used.

Upvote 0
I know right paying with you phone sounds easy and such a covenance the only thing is you gotta have money bouncing around out there somewhere with fees here fees there once a fee always a fee freely covently to pay who ever where ever with some kinda money to be made by the clicking of the covenant telephone have you ever waited to see what your pictures came out looking like that was a mystery all in its self and I love mixed tapes theres nothing like pushing rewind hoping you land at the right spot besides just had my 8 trake updated last week!! Ahhhh too funny 😁

Upvote 0
I don't have a car, I don't know anything about Google listings, and school loans is someone else's problem, I'm a teacher now, and my student days are long gone.

I miss the days of actually writing letters, or recording cassettes, and posting them, then waiting days or even weeks for a reply, when I wanted to talk to those far away. Also miss those expensive international phone calls. I miss the days of using hard currency to pay for things, when I can just use my phone now.

And one last thing being a teacher only means your on the payroll for being at school we all are still learning students of this thing called what is called oh ya life in or out of debut no phone can pay for you what real human interaction is worth your lucky to be able to curve young or old people in a good direction wish you all the luck and aren't summers great nothing to do but click away!! Ahhhhh boredom it'll get ya everytime! Goodnight

Upvote 0
Old style cell phones I guess, which was basically a car phone and a battery in a bag, or case, you slung over your shoulder

Kinda like the era of 'Zack Morris' phones! That's funny and makes me feel really old! I don't even know what I'm still doing talking about phones there driving me nuts! But thanks y'all for listening again goodnight I promise that's it I just had to vent earlier so thank you for letting me get that out into the world and off my chest!!

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
In the late 80s, a company I used to work for provided one of these, a Nokia Mobira Talkman.
Mobira-Talkman-4.png

It was in a bag with a stout shoulder strap.

It was strictly for company business only, NO personal calls. These were stupidly expensive to buy, and airtime was very expensive as well

Upvote 0
Like this one I can't believe I still have it im such a pack rat!

Ok where did it go now ahhhhhh!

Never mind it says to large and again here I am trying to push all these things to make it smaller when I don't really even care anyways it's just an old phone no good to anyone anymore anyways but it's kinda cool to let your kids play with they act like there out in the middle of nowhere trying to reach some one through a gigantic bag phone pretend is awesome!

Upvote 0
Mapquest was far superior to the atlas. :)
I had use of a very early GPS system. The receiver set on the dash and plugged into the cigarette lighter. It communicated to a laptop.
You booted it all up and waited about five minutes for it to acquire the birds. Once up and running you could tell it where you wanted to go and it would give you pop up directions like take exit 17A in half a mile for example. It worked... mostly. I don't remember what the name of the software the hardware used.
We had such a modern system as well!! Whoever called shotgun had to compete with the laptop...

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0
We had such a modern system as well!! Whoever called shotgun had to compete with the laptop...
That’s funny I use to have a CD player velcroed to my console so I could plug it into my cassette player! But unfortunately someone broke my car window and stole it is was a sad day to lose my “badass” system!! Ahhhhh besides the velcro was always coming off!!! And pagers were a way of life!

Upvote 0
This is kinda like the game telephone we should make up some silly saying and and see how it changes through people relying it but no copy and paste read once don’t look at it again and try and type it again Like............. “My mother and your mother were sitting by the fire one mother told the other mother he sure is one happy go lucky son of a gunn of a walrus that lived by the ocean!!

Now don’t read it again just retype

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones