1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tell Me About Apps Backups, Non-Root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by daviddcmd, Oct 7, 2010.

1. daviddcmd

daviddcmd Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I am about to do another factory reset. I don't want to lose the data on my apps. Is there a non-root way to backup the apps and the data contained within?

I have tried app to sd but not all the apps can be moved.

TIA

Advertisement

2. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

Jun 15, 2010
    You can simply sync your apps with App Brain, can't you?

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    That won't keep the app data though.

4. t0adman

t0adman Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I am doing the exact same thing and I just used Astro file manager to backup my apps. From what I understand that will backup apps and data, and will allow AppBrain to recognize the installed apps after factory reset.

I've also managed to backup all my Contacts as Google contacts and segregated them into two groups - Contacts and the massive database of emails I've amassed (thanks to Gmail) over the last several years. I also backed up Launcher Pro.

I'm almost ready to factory reset but I need a good option for backing up SMS and MMS messages. From what I can tell, the backup assistant is useless.

Any suggestions? TIA

5. c_aus

c_aus Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    MyBackup Pro does exactly this...backs up your apps with data and all of your settings, contacts, SMS, bookmarks, etc. It's on the market and is worth the couple dollars they charge.

6. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    Astro backs up only the apps, no app data (settings, user data) are backed up. Titanium Backup backs up apps, app data, user settings, and system data, but requires a rooted device.

7. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    This, but know the online storage is teeny and can be upgraded for a couple dollars a month.

8. t0adman

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks. Wish I'd seen this before I did the reset. I had to reinstall all my apps and non of the accounts of user data was retained. Only managed to backup contracts, SMS, MMS, phone log and bookmarks. The primary reasons for doing the reset was to get my text messages showing up in order. Alas, they STILL do not. Anyone found a solution for this in Froyo? Stupid desert!

9. Vaseline Smith

Vaseline Smith Android Enthusiast

May 29, 2010
    ▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

10. c_aus

c_aus Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There is also an option to store it on your SD card, which is more than enough for what the app needs.

11. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

May 28, 2010
    What he said

12. t0adman

Aug 25, 2010
    I need an effin' saddle for the fail whale so I can ride the beotch into the sunset. Oh well.

13. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Aye, but if you lose your phone that's not much help. That's really the only reason I wanted to back-up my apps, because I've never had any software/hardware issues with phones, just my own stupidity. haha