1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Tell me the disadvantages of Galaxy S 2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Justinyao, May 6, 2012.

1. Justinyao

Justinyao Newbie
    None

Apr 27, 2012
    I am going to buy a galaxy S 2. Is there anyone who have used a s 2 can tell me the disadvantages of s 2? thanks

Advertisement

2. Kie

Kie Android Expert
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    Risk and Safety Engineer
    Perth, Australia
    It depends on the version really. SGS2 on gingerbread 2.3.5 (particularly on a custom rom) is nigh on flawless. All the bugs were removed and it's as smooth as waxed glass dumped in oil and thrown into a frictionless space. On ice cream sandwich 4.0.3 however it has poorer battery life and it's as smooth as sandpaper coated with super glue located inside a light aircraft flying in a cyclone.

Aethetically, it's a tad big, and the usb is prone to malfunctioning with the slightest bit of dirt. It's also not waterproof... :D

Justinyao likes this.
  3. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    The battery isn't the best (1650mAh). But there is an official one you can get with 2000mAh (plus special back cover for the extra size), I recommend it. $50
    Point being you now have 2 and can swap them when one empties, but the extra 350mAh on the big one makes a difference, better than having two 1650s

Justinyao likes this.
  4. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    It has lots of problems since its a mini PC. Like battery doesn't last as long, apps installed sometimes can cause havoc, you have so many settings sometimes it just boggles the mind etc....

But the benefits.... Its a smartphone that's so damn customizable. So if you want a smartphone (mini PC), it would do great. So depends what you are looking for. Maybe you can tell us what you are looking for in A phone, and we can tell you whether SGS2 does it well.

There are of course new alternatives now.... like HTC One and SGS3.

Justinyao and SebaKL like this.
  5. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    One key disadvantage, in my case, is that it turns me into an asshole. I constantly keep showing off its endless ability, extended via the power of Tasker, which fully automates the phone. Gloating with superiority over my bronze age iphone using friends, and my son. Customization like on no other device, which can be further extended with light weight, non invasive variety of 3rd party Launchers.

Sorry, I couldn't help it :)

With all seriousness. I love it and I have no real complain about it. The way it allow you to move around its features is just brilliant. The 3rd party software is sufficient for my needs, and given it runs on google's android, I love the integration with google. There are some problems that I had after certain upgrades, but all solved with help of this forum's, always so kind, regular participants.

My one biggest disappointment tho, is the fact that unlike apple, there is no many 3rd party accessories. My son uses iphone and he has huge collection of docking stations, DJ mixing consoles, attachable zoom lenses, portable stands, sport arm bands to mount the phone while biking, and huge, I mean huge collection of decals and casings, from 30cents a piece, to 120$ custom made VajaCase. Even nice charging stands from company like twelvesouth.com which is dedicated to develop apple 3rd party products. Also his iphone is fully compatible with my X6 car, and I can control it via the steering wheel using Apple Interface. Of course the Galaxy has nice bluetooth connectivity, but the apple interface gives more control.

But, Galaxy range becomes a Flagship, I believe soon more and more products will appear. The car industry getting into Android compatibility, Philips start producing nice docking station, there is a whole new wireless integration between your phone, tv and other devices, so it's just a matter of time before it gains even more popularity. Meantime, I just can't stop enjoining the phone.

I love Galaxy's vidi colors while checking video, photos or surfing web, but I don't want to have interface to be like that. So I made it a gray scale. No rooting, to battery drain, just 5min and it's done, making it look exactly as I like. Simple and clean. I just love the phone.

Here is a nice video, even tho it's an iOS - Android comparison, it does highlight exactly all the features in Android that I like and the reason why, many others stick to it. Check it out:

Android Vs iOS The Truth about Apple and Google's OS Part 1 of 5 - YouTube

best regards

Sebastian

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      368 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      349.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      215.5 KB
      Views:
    Justinyao likes this.
  6. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    By the way, strongly recommend checking out Galaxy Note, or wait till end of the month to check out the Galaxy S3. That is my next phone, as soon as it arrives in Malaysia.

Justinyao likes this.
  7. v28

v28 Newbie
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    UK
    When I was trying to decide it was between the s2 and the nexus, I went for the s2 which is great don't get me wrong but I find myself still wanting the nexus. As for the 4s, my wife has been a devoted apple fan from day 1. Until she saw my s2 and from that point on no more apple in our household!

In the end its your decision but I would say stay away from apple, go for an s2 or s3, or a nexus.

8. Rheumatoid

Rheumatoid Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2012
    this is not true for me. it is much smoother on stock ICS. Battery life was worse initially but now 50% better.

R.

9. suicidallooney

suicidallooney Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    London, UK
    When you say disadvanatages i amd wondering what you are comparing it because the disadvantages for the S2 is actually an advantage when compared to other phones. I think the battery life is great as i've learned to harness battery saving idea like turning off auto rotate, this alone uses more battery than wifi + bluetooth on doing nothing.

Anyways the real disadvantages that i have with this phone are mostly all fixed but what hasn't been fixed in kies, samsung crappy software, transfering large amount of data from phone to pc or pc to phone (not sd card) is almost impossible it always fails with stupid errors, windows + kies seems all very happy with you transfering your files 1 by 1

And another thing disadvantage that i don't know if it's been updated or fixed is if you aren't using headphones with a built in mic, the phone doesn't seems to know this and volume for the mic on the phone it self is very low, i assume the phone is expecting voice input from the headphones built in mic. maybe this is fixed already i don't know.

10. Runesai

Runesai Newbie
    None

Oct 14, 2011
    With gingerbread, I have hardly any problems with my phone. With ICS the update went horribly wrong and dropped into recovery which wouldn't take for most of the day. It's been great thus far. A few programs (mainly games), fail or freeze occasionally but the mainstream ones are working well. As compared to my wife's HTC sensation 4G, her's is similar spec wise but we are waiting for the ICS for it since the last time it updated it introduced a new glitch where her phone will randomly turn itself off. Very randomly. Otherwise they are very similar, I just find the galaxy to be easier to get it to do what I want.
    Compared to an Iphone, there is no contest. Even if the 4S was as powerful as mine, most my coworkers have had major problems from booting issues to complete data loss. Most of the problems have been user inflicted however.
    On wear and tear, my phone has been dropped from a table top on the second level of our store to the first level floor a few times. Not a scratch, mind you I do have an otter case. Most the Iphones at work have cracked cases or screens, or heavy scratches.

11. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    Some people don't like the size of the 4"+ phones. I would try using one in a shop before you commit to buying it just to make sure you do like it. If you already have a 4"+ phone then clearly you'll know whether you'll be okay with it or not.

I would strongly suggest waiting until 29th May though, as the price is likely to go down when the Galaxy S3 is released.

12. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    I think this is because of the fact that Apple uses the same iPhone design for like 3 years, and also because iPhones are wildly more popular than any single Android phone.

I too wish there were more accessories available! Although it would annoy me if I got a new phone a year or two later and had to swap all the accessories too :p

13. Russell Ng

None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Yup.... Kies is definitely a poor piece of software. But the wonderful thing about Android and SGS2 is that you don't need Kies since you have other options. There are apps to backup, you have USB mass storage connection, and ODIN.

14. Russell Ng

None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    JustinYao,

Why don't you let us know what you are looking for in the phone? Really can't tell you much without knowing what it is that you want from it. There are lots of niggly problems with all smartphones, and some does certain task better than others. And certain specs are available in one smartphone but not others. Its really what is more important for you... so let us know...

Cheers