• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telstra Signal on HTC Desire

pcweirdness

Lurker
Jun 15, 2010
Well hoping that someone can clear up a question I have in relation to the HTC Desire on the Telstra network.
I just recently recontacted with Telstra and got the Desire, which i love. Coming from an iPhone 3G it makes a nice change.
But the thing I have noticed is that in areas where I would get full coverage (according to the bars on my old iPhone) I now get anywhere from 1 to 3. I still seem to be able to get reasonable voice calls and no one had overly complained that they cant hear me but im somewhat curious as to what the deal is?
Also in the same light the 3G would always had the "G" showing as connected to the 3G network. The desire seems to switch between "G" and "H" so I am also wondering what the story is with that.
Any help on this would be appreciated :)

hey pc,

The signal you are recieving on your desire is actually superior to the iphone 3gs, as tested by myself. (by about 3dbm)

The iphone has actually been in the news recently due to the misleading signal display (the iphone reports more bars than it should) and as a result apple have, as of ios version 4.01, corrected the "bar algorithm" to report a more correct signal strength.

as for the 3G or H logo - H is faster - it stands for HSDPA.

Reactions: HelenLR
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones