• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Telus Desire HD on Rogers

jackalop3

Lurker
Mar 28, 2011
I just bought a unlocked Telus HTC Desire HD and am currently using it on the Rogers network. I've had the SMS timestamp problem and managed to fix it by installing the SMS Time Fix app.

How does one go about debranding the phone from Telus? I'm not sure if it's called "debranding", "rooting", or "flashing the rom"?

What is the differences between them? I'm really new to the Android world and come from a Blackberry and really love the Android OS so far.

Also is it easy to do yourself?

Just can't wait till BBM comes over to Android then I'll permantly jump ship.

Please go easy on me as I'm still learning the Android lingo.

Thanks!

I can try and explain the difference between "debranding", "rooting", and "flashing the rom" for you.
*Rooting is where you gain ROOT User privileges to your phone. This must be applied to the phone before you flash or debrand.
*Flashing the ROM is where you 'install' a new operating system to your phone. This could include the official ROM (in the case where you are debranding) or a custom ROM (which is a third-party ROM).
*Debranding is simply where you would put the official release ROM onto your phone instead of the modified from provided by/for the Telco Carrier (such as your Telus branded ROM).

As for the rest of your questions, well, I found it very easy to do. I simply followed these two guides;

How To Permanently Root HTC Desire HD [Complete Guide] (provided me with ROOT access to my phone)

and

How To Gain S-OFF (Radio And Engineering) On HTC Desire HD (Gain S-OFF (Radio And Engineering))

I then flashed an official ROM to my phone to alleviate my Vodafone branding. I wrote a guide on how I did that here.

Hope this helps you in some way.
Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones