• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telus Galaxy S2 (T989D) Ultimate Root and Optimization Guide with Steps

Hello Blue1k,
I bought a Telus Samsung Galaxy S2 X in the first week of December and the phone was working fine for about a month.Recently, I started hearing a noise from the phone and it appeared that something had gone loose inside the phone.I spoke to the Samsung Customer care helpline and was redirected to a Samsung service centre here in Montreal.After explaining the problem with the phone the person at the help desk said whatsoever the problem is,they will flash the firmware and repair the issue for which I agreed.After about 2 hours I get the phone hearing that the problem cannot be solved and I found that the firmware that they flashed had bugs for which they say, since I unlocked the phone there might be some virus in the phone and hence it is behaving abnormally.I unlocked the phone from Mobieincanada which was working well until the Samsung service centre guys had their hands on it.
After a long discussion the service centre guy says that all he can do is exchange my phone with a refurbished phone and cannot help me in any other manner.I paid close to 700CAD for a new phone which manufacturing problems and was further spoilt at the service centre and they say that they are helping me in providing a refurbished phone which looks physically abused and in no way closer to the mint condition of my mobile.I wrote to the Samsung's President's office and they too say that all that they can offer is a refurbished phone.

Problems apart,I myself flashed the stock Telus ROM posted on your guide onto the phone assuming that the problems with the firmware would be solved.The flash was successful but the problems still persist.To name a few:
1.The lock screen in the phone does not function.
2.If the power button is held for about a second the phone switches off without the standard options such as flight mode,silent mode and turn off menus.
3.When the screen is turned on, the bluetooth turns on by itself and the screen time-out automatically sets to 10 mins.

I understand that this is a lengthy post and is in no way related to your guide for Rooting.Please suggest me if there is a way by which I can solve the issue.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Upvote 0
I'm a total newbie, trying to follow what seems to be pretty easy instructions, but I didn't get very far. I can't seem to find the file called recovery.tar.

Anyone know where to find it. And, if not, how do I stop this process safely. My phone says "downloading" Do not turn off target, and Odin is just sitting there with a yellow bar.

Upvote 0
I'm a total newbie, trying to follow what seems to be pretty easy instructions, but I didn't get very far. I can't seem to find the file called recovery.tar.

Anyone know where to find it. And, if not, how do I stop this process safely. My phone says "downloading" Do not turn off target, and Odin is just sitting there with a yellow bar.

The recovery.tar file is the third link in the list of files required from the first post. It's labelled 'Clockmod Recovery for T989 (flash with Odin)'.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I figured that out a few minutes ago.
Everything else seemed to go as planned, but at the last second in the backup it said there was no sd card. So restoring would not work.

Do you suggest I just through all the steps again?
I re-booted, but I don't see a "Superuser" tab or icon.

When you boot into recovery do you still have the clockwork mod recovery? If so, then no.

I would just get an sdcard. Put it in. Then boot back into recovery and do the backup step (step 11) and then continue with the permissions fix and rooting step.

Upvote 0
Hey Blue1k thanks for the tutorial on rooting this phone! I've had it for a while now and I feel like I could get a bit more out of this awesome phone. Also I love seeing that you are still around here helping people that need it even though you don't have the phone anymore.

No worries. Sorry I haven't been around much in the last few weeks. Work has been killing me :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones