• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Tempered glass screen protector recommendations for UK?

Sorry to resurrect the tempered screen protector topic for the infamously curvy Note 4 but although I see a lot of info about what to buy in the US many of the recommnded solutions don't appear to be available in the UK.

eBay is full of products but there is almost no way to know if they will be any good (avoiding the dreaded edge halp effect). I have tried two and the more expensive one was worse than the cheaper one.

I realise a narrow fit protector will minimise the halo effect and that's fine by me but how can I tell if a product being advertised is this type?

Well, I have contacted one eBay UK seller based on an image of their screen protector and it does seem to be cut smaller than most. They responded by saying theirs is only 70mm wide, which is roughly the width of the visible part of the active screen area. To be honest that's only 2-3mm less than the one on the phone already and the halo-free width is narrower than 70mm but the seller says they don't have a halo problem. One seller has already refunded me after I emailed them photos of the halo under their protector and I suspect the same will happen with the one on the phone at the moment. Anyway, I have ordered one from this third supplier and I will let you know if it's any good.

Upvote 0
Here are photos of the three tempered glass screen protectors for the Note 4 I have tried so far.
P2250255.jpg
Above the most recent one and just about acceptable.

P2230227.jpg

Above was the second one, massive halo but the camera is spared the image quality penalty of being covered.

WP_20160218_14_53_25_Raw-2.jpg

WP_20160218_14_53_12_Raw-2.jpg

The above two photos are of the first protector we tried - not only was the halo gap unacceptable but the gap extened over the camera lens.

Upvote 0
Do you mean the Note 4 screen is Gorilla Glass? Yes I know that and my preference is not to have a screen protector but this is my daughter's phone and she values the security of the protector. She won't be using the flip case for long as she prefers a bumper-style back case and this makes the screen protector more important. I think the primary function of a screen protector is to prevent scratches but I think it can also absorb some shock if the phone is dropped. Her last phone had a big crack through the tempered glass after a drop but the screen underneath was undamaged. I can't stand plastic screen protectors.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones