1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Temporarily stop phone from sleeping

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GregwGA, Jun 6, 2017.

1. GregwGA

GregwGA Newbie

Sometime when I am trying read something on my phone, like some instructions or a recipe, my phone will go to sleep while I am looking at it and then I have to use my thumbprint to unlock it. This is annoying when I am trying to do something and need the screen to stay on until I am done.

Is there an app or something that will allow me to keep the phone from going to sleep until I am done with what I am doing. I would like to avoid having to go through 3 or 4 steps to change some settings and then have to change them back. Just an app that will override sleep mode temporarily and then I could turn it off will do.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. srglassw

srglassw Member

There are apps on Google Play that may work for you. "Total Screen Control" is a paid app that says it can set preferences such as ScreenOn Lock individually for any app on your phone.

3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

It's been a really long time since "Total Screen Control" has been updated. Like back in the "Jellybean" days. If it were .99 cents I'd say go for it but $2.42 for an app that hasn't been updated since 2013 and which had it's last review in 2015 their is no guarantee that the feature you want will work with your current operating system.

#3 dontpanicbobby, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

update:

Try Stay Alive! from the Play Store. Looks good and for waht you want to do you won't need any in app purchase.

5. seVer

seVer Android Expert

why complicate things? settings> display> smart stay. it uses the front camera to detect that you're looking at the screen and it will stay on. you may see an eye icon in the notification bar when it's working.

6. GregwGA

GregwGA Newbie

I have smart stay turned on but the screen still dims and then goes to sleep while I am looking at it. In addition, there is no "eye" in the notification bar.

7. seVer

seVer Android Expert

hence "may see an eye" comment. it's possible that has been changed/removed. I never use it.

if you really need more time, then change the timeout setting. you can always tap the power key to turn off the screen.

8. Phalon4

Phalon4 Android Enthusiast

I don't think a app is needed in your case if you go into Settings a then Display and set a time limit to Never sleep while you're navigating whatever on your screen until you're done.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S7 release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8890 Octa processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews