1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tennessee governer stomping on the constitution.

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Affairs' started by nlsme, Jun 10, 2011.

1. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010

Advertisement

2. Knewz

Knewz Android Expert
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Tech
    Georgia
    So basically if you are in Tenn. don't post anything or go to jail.

3. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    Good thing Rep Wiener got his screw up in before this law was passed:D

4. Jceinc

Jceinc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    He should go to jail for posting his wife's pic on his websites ... I'm suing for "emotional distress"

5. noah way

noah way Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Let me guess if Tennessee is a red state or blue state ...

6. mike114

mike114 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Ft Worth, TX
  7. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    The one for the United States of America

8. gvillager

gvillager Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    NYC
    Today it's pictures, tomorrow it's words!

Basically it's a criminal offense if you hurt someones feelings, even if it's unintentional.

9. mike114

None

Sep 7, 2010
    Ft Worth, TX
    Which federal agency will be enforcing this law? You are arguing the wrong point. You need to check the TN Constitution and see if there is a conflict.

Don't get me wrong, on the surface I don't support this law from what I know about it, but it doesn't violate the US Constitution.

10. Sak01

Sak01 Android Expert
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    Serious question:If freedom of expression is so sacrosanct, how come you're not allowed to walk around naked? And to make it more extreme, what about walking outside school gates like that?

I'm just interested in knowing how that's reconciled.

11. copestag

copestag Android Expert
    None

May 23, 2010
    I whole heartedly agree...... in fact I would pose this question ........ is the rights of the many greater than the rights of the individual at any point?

if we truly want to believe in the constitution then the rights of an individual are equal to the rights of 310M........ since their rights are not somehow combined but simply individual rights that coincide

therefore I think anything whatsoever that offends to the point of violating the constitutional rights (which is by the way open to individual interpretation) any individual in any way shape or form should be illegal and punishable by death

this law is a step in the right direction...... but what they should have done was just make it illegal to post any images whatsoever....... after all you cannot give me 1 single example of an image that doesnt cause emotional distress to at least 1 individual somewhere

for that matter it should be illegal to communicate in any fashion....... every word spoken by every person on the planet causes emotional distress to at least 1 person somewhere...... any word typed....... every picture.... etc etc etc........ also being seen...... seriously....... I know everyone has seen someone who offended them by something...... the way they dressed.... the color of their hair...... their teeth....... something ..... each and every one of us has some physical characteristic that someone somewhere finds emotionally distressing or offensive......... so we should ban all human interaction........... down with the collective

this is what happens when we condone this crybaby PC society........ its all the freakin 'timeout' parents and its not fair if you make me cry attitudes to blame

and if that offends you...... TOO BAD..... write to the govt.... they can outlaw me

12. gvillager

None

Jun 30, 2010
    NYC
    Your missing the point. State law must conform with federal law. Someone could challenge this law in federal court, if the judge rules that its unconstitutional then the law is thrown out.

13. mike114

None

Sep 7, 2010
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm sorry, you are incorrect. First of all the feds have no Constitutional authority to tell TN what to do in this case. We have been programmed to believe that the Supreme Court has any say in what laws states pass. Unless it's specifically stated in the Constitution, the states have every right to pass laws based on their OWN constitutions.

The US Constitution restricts the federal gov't, not state governments, hence the 10th Amendment.

You are correct about your last statement unfortunately. Federal judges have stripped the States of their authority by making those decisions. It's high time the States told the feds to go pound sand. This is a states rights issue and should be settled by state courts and the TN Supreme Court.

14. noah way

noah way Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
  15. gvillager

None

Jun 30, 2010
    NYC
    Article 3, Section 1 of the US Constitution

Article 3, Section 2 of the US Constitution

The US Constitution gives the Supreme Court the power to resolve controversies between States and it's citizens.

Amendment 10

The 10th Amendment prohibits States from enacting laws that violate the US Constitution.

Amendment 1

The citizens of the State of Tennessee have the right to petition the US Supreme Court. If they were to convince the Court that images are an extension of freedom of speech or press then the law would be ruled unconstitutional and it would be overturned.

16. gvillager

None

Jun 30, 2010
    NYC
  17. bbrosen

bbrosen Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    this is really geared more towards someone stalking, threatening and harassing someone and sending violent photos meant to scare them in their stalking and harassment. So even tho the photo may not be illegal in itself, sending it posting it geared towards harassment or stalking makes it a crime. Yes its a slippery slope but the government is actually trying to keep up with changing technology for once. Its a tough call, but if implemented carefully might work, but like a lot of laws over time, it may morph into something it was never intended.

18. Knewz

Knewz Android Expert
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Tech
    Georgia
    Like......overcrowded jails mixed with serial rapist and posted-a-naked-pic-of-my-ex-girlfriend-on-the-internet-ers

19. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Then it should be worded as such. The words "stalker" or "harrasment" are not even in the bill. It is only "offensive images".