• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root terminal commands....

Yeah, I don't know it you can just copy that lib or not. There might be other dependencies, or reasons why it won't run correctly. I'm not a MIUI user, so I can't really comment without actually trying it out. Feel free to copy it, and see if it works. Certainly let me know if you get any other errors and what they are so we can do some troubleshooting.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't know it you can just copy that lib or not. There might be other dependencies, or reasons why it won't run correctly. I'm not a MIUI user, so I can't really comment without actually trying it out. Feel free to copy it, and see if it works. Certainly let me know if you get any other errors and what they are so we can do some troubleshooting.

LOL i dont either akaza but how else do we learn? :)

Upvote 0
By the way, if it doesn't work, let's try another version of bash. It could just be that's it's looking in some weird location. I mean, ncurses is sort of a weird thing to be missing if you're going to use a terminal...

EDIT: wow, you guys post fast. I should have refreshed, first.

agreed but i had the lib so i figured what the hell...

Upvote 0
akaza how come you never comment on what rom or kernels you are using? I just realized that seeing as i keep mine in my sig...what the hell does your phone look like sir? :)

I don't put it in my sig because if I tell people in a certain post to look at my sig, then change my sig later as I change my setup, that thread where I said to look in my sig won't make sense anymore. So, I just wait for people to ask. So, since you asked :)...

I'm running Kings GB-R2 (I just can't stand the theming in R3, and the differences didn't seem big enough beyond theming), with Savaged-Zen 2.0.2, but I'm thinking of trying tiamat (mostly based on your recommendation). Otherwise, I'm just using a2sd. I haven't been big on theming lately, as I've been busy playing around with tasker profiles. That's an entirely different thread for a different day.

would pushing a lib file go that far south ya think that a nandroid is necessary?

Probably not, but I'm cautious when telling people to try things on their phone. Would I make a nandroid backup first? No. But I'll always tell you to anyway :).

Upvote 0
I don't put it in my sig because if I tell people in a certain post to look at my sig, then change my sig later as I change my setup, that thread where I said to look in my sig won't make sense anymore. So, I just wait for people to ask. So, since you asked :)...

I'm running Kings GB-R2 (I just can't stand the theming in R3, and the differences didn't seem big enough beyond theming), with Savaged-Zen 2.0.2, but I'm thinking of trying tiamat (mostly based on your recommendation). Otherwise, I'm just using a2sd. I haven't been big on theming lately, as I've been busy playing around with tasker profiles. That's an entirely different thread for a different day.

Probably not, but I'm cautious when telling people to try things on their phone. Would I make a nandroid backup first? No. But I'll always tell you to anyway :).

Yeah i dropped R3 pretty quickly wasnt digging the neon green and i sure wasnt going to go through and edit all the green out for the minor changes from R2.

I like tiamat and apparently a few others i have seen have grown to love it. I have mine undervolted and my phone underclocked. I get no issues at all.

Yeah i'll have to look into tasker, i havent used it at all. I also still need to get another sd card so i can run a2sd again. Not that i miss it a ton, i dont have that many apps truth be told.

Hear ya there, i never follow my own advice lol. I dealt with a bootloop for 20 minutes yesterday because of set_cpu lol. Not that i didnt know how to fix it quickly but i wanted to boot the damn thing and move the sliders real quick LOL! Im so stubborn i get in my own way :)

Upvote 0
Okay, here's some more information that I forgot to talk about earlier. One of the great things about bash is that it supports something call tab completion. What that means is that given a partial path, pressing tab will attempt to complete it. If no path is given, it will use the current path. I'll give you an example. Suppose you have the directory /sdcard/directory/subdirectory, and you've gotten as far as typing:

cd /sdcard/dire

If you hit tab, it will attempt to finish it for you. If you have multiple matches, then it will show you those matches if you hit tab twice. So, if you have the directory named "directory" plus another directory named "direblah", if you hit tab twice, it will show you those two options. If you just have the one named "directory", it will finish it for you. That way, you don't have to type out long path names. It will also complete file names, too - not just directory names. It works at any level as well, so once you've hit tab, and it get to:

cd /sdcard/directory/

it is still waiting for you to press enter or keep typing. So, you can start typing the rest, and for example, get to:

cd /sdcard/directory/subd

hit tab, and it will complete to:

cd /sdcard/directory/subdirectory/

From there you could keep typing or just hit enter. In practice this saves you a lot of time. Now, as I said before, if you don't give a path, it uses the current path, so if you just typed:

cd

then hit tab twice, it would suggest everything in the current path.

This tab completion can be used in another way, as well. If you want to actually run a command, tab completion will attempt to finish the name of the command, too. It works when you give the full path to the command or with commands found in paths from $PATH. So, if you type:

c

then hit tab twice, it will suggest all commands that start with "c" that are found in any path in $PATH. If you typed a little more like:

les

it would probably figure out that you want to type "less" and just finish it for you when you hit tab. It's more useful on longer commands.

Anyway, the limitation here is that "tab" is probably not available on all soft keyboards. I'm on gingerbread right now, and it is available on the default keyboard. If you don't have it on whatever keyboard you're using, I might suggest use a keyboard that does have it. It can come in handy.

Upvote 0
Yeah i dropped R3 pretty quickly wasnt digging the neon green and i sure wasnt going to go through and edit all the green out for the minor changes from R2.

I like tiamat and apparently a few others i have seen have grown to love it. I have mine undervolted and my phone underclocked. I get no issues at all.

Yeah i'll have to look into tasker, i havent used it at all. I also still need to get another sd card so i can run a2sd again. Not that i miss it a ton, i dont have that many apps truth be told.

Hear ya there, i never follow my own advice lol. I dealt with a bootloop for 20 minutes yesterday because of set_cpu lol. Not that i didnt know how to fix it quickly but i wanted to boot the damn thing and move the sliders real quick LOL! Im so stubborn i get in my own way :)

Yeah, I'll try out timat tomorrow. Let me know if you want to try out tasker. It as a pretty big learning curve, but it's worth it.

Upvote 0
Okay, rebooting now. The adb push worked fine... waiting for reboot.
Okay, term emu... which bash: which - permission denied... what?

Reinstalling busybox.... (I have no signal, not sure if busybox needs signal or something..) Failed. Unable to remount...

Hmm... I can't type any commands into Terminal now... but I was able to on adb..

I am thinking that I might just call this one a lose, and flash a different rom ( I was getting a bit tired of miui), it is getting pretty late here.

Upvote 0
Okay, rebooting now. The adb push worked fine... waiting for reboot.
Okay, term emu... which bash: which - permission denied... what?

Reinstalling busybox.... (I have no signal, not sure if busybox needs signal or something..) Failed. Unable to remount...

Hmm... I can't type any commands into Terminal now... but I was able to on adb..

I am thinking that I might just call this one a lose, and flash a different rom ( I was getting a bit tired of miui), it is getting pretty late here.

yeah you dont even need su to run a which bash...oh well, kill the lib file, flash back, whatever...thanks for being a guinea pig for the night :). You seem like you want a change so we wont bother with other bash versions i guess...?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was pretty sure it would have worked... but oh well. It's always exciting to try a new ROM, and I had been at this one for about a month.

And that was the damnedest thing, I could run SU, and get the # prompt, but every command I tried returned the permission denied.

I do have a couple of questions for you guys...
1. what is tasker?
2. has anyone else noticed that files transfer much faster over adb than usb? maybe it's my imagination, but I don't think so.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's a very important lib file. Look up ncurses, and you'll understand why :). If something goes wrong with that, you're going to have major problems. I'm sure we could have figured it out, but if you really just want to switch ROMs, that's the easiest thing. Anything that can run a2sd should work fine, btw.

To answer your questions:

1) Tasker is basically an automation app. It is a way of performing certain tasks under certain conditions with no user input, or user input that you specify. It is organized into profiles. Each profile has one or more contexts. A context is basically the "if" part, if you think about it in programing terms. It's the condition. There are two basic kinds of contexts that you'll normally use - state based and event based. They can be used together, as you can have more than one context. I'll give you an example. Wifi connected is a state based context. It means "while wifi is connected" and you can specify any wifi connection, or just your own, etc. An event based context would be something like "when a new app is installed". There are also time/data and location based contexts, but I would logically group them with state based contexts. Anyway, each profile has one or more of these. It means that in order for the profile to be active, those conditions must be met. Once they are, the second part of the profile is executed, which is the task. You can have one task or many tasks. Some examples would be, turn on wifi, turn on gps, create a notification, vibrate, turn off auto brightness, etc. The list goes on and on. I'll give you a practical example of one of the things I do with tasker.

a) When I'm out, and nowhere near home or work, wifi is just off.
b) Once I get within a 3-4 mile radius of home (using cell tower triangulation) wifi will start to poll, meaning that it turns on every 10 minutes, checks if I'm near my remembered access point, then turns off right away if I'm not.
c) Once it actually sees my remembered access point, it keeps wifi on, and connects.
d) Once I leave, it sees that I've disconnected, and turns wifi off, going back into polling mode for as long as I'm in that "home radius".
e) Once I go outside that radius, wifi turns off, completely, again.

Note that this saves some battery compared to just leaving wifi on all the time, plus it is completely automated, and requires no input from me to just turn wifi on/off when it is supposed to. I also have the same thing set up for work. Another example of something I do is change CPU frequency/governor. Yes, you can do this with setcpu, but you're very limited to the few profiles it has available. With tasker, I can do exactly the same things you can with setcpu, plus almost anything else you can think of. Here's a couple I have in addition to the typical:

a) While on a phone call, disable all profiles so that the phone won't underclock. Once the phone call ends, resume normal profiles (regular profile is screen on or underclocking if screen off, etc.). The purpose is to make sure the phone wakes up quickly if I need to use the dialpad while in a call.
b) I've been testing using the interactive governor with a small underclock for normal screen on profile. It is much smoother than the conservative governor with an overclock, and seems to have about the same battery savings. That being said, sometimes I want that overclock, most notably while certain apps are running. So, I have a profile to override other screen-on based profiles, and overclock when I open certain apps, then go back to the underclock once I close them.

There are many more things you can do with it, and that is just small example of some things you can do. If you use google voice with the new sprint integration (or without it, but it's cooler with it :p), you can use tasker to change the phones that will ring based on any of the tasker contexts. That means something like, rings phones a and b while at home, but only ring phone c at work, etc. etc. You need a plugin for it, which costs extra, but it's very cool.

2) I've never noticed files transferring faster over adb. Ultimately, it's still just usb...

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones