1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Terminology help please

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by NFLprincess, Jan 13, 2012.

1. NFLprincess

NFLprincess Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    I am so lost. I'm glad I found ya'll bc I had a few questions.
    Althouth after reading several discussions, the few has multiplied into a metric butt load. Where can I get an idiots guide to the terms ya'll are using? This is my first Android phone, btw I'm giddy about finally getting my hands on one, and I want to learn all I can. Bricking? Rooting? Trackback? I know almost nothing.

Advertisement

2. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    Here's a glossary the explains most of the terms you will read on the forums. Look through this let us know if you have any questions.

Glossary - XDA-Developers

EarlyMon, Crashdamage and jerofld like this.
  3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    That glossary doesn't cover a few essentials and I don't like their root definition, so:

Bricking: Means the phone is completely useless and unfixable. It's slang like calling a device 'a paper weight'. 99% of the time, the term is used incorrectly, because the device can be fixed by the user.

Rooting: There are a lot of explanations on the net. But simply put: It's administrative access on your phone. It allows you to control more parts of your phone that you can't currently. I'd recommend you get used to Android before starting to consider root, just so you know how the device is supposed to work.

I have no idea what trackback is.

If you see the terms Odex and Deodex, don't worry about them until you start rooting (if you ever do).

ROM is acronym meaning 'Read Only Memory', but it's used to describe custom builds of Android that rooted phones can install. Don't worry about it until you root.

Kernel is a low-level part of the OS, you can only change it if you root. Again, worry about it later.

Anything else that is specific?

4. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    hi and welcome... read and ask questions... that is why ^^^ they are here. I am here just to heckle the new members.

You like NFL? football?? what team?

EarlyMon and NFLprincess like this.
  5. NFLprincess

NFLprincess Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    I'm so glad I can entertain. I'm sure Ill give you ole timers plenty to chuckle about as I stumble around in this new, I was going to say world but universe is more appropriate. ;)
    My favorite team is Philly, the Cincy Bengals have a place in my heart too. But I love all things football (SEC and Pro). Saddest day of every year? The day after the Superbowl. Also love love Fantasy Football.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
  7. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    I am a cowboys fan