1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Terrible B.S. feature of new android market

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by generic username, Aug 1, 2011.

1. generic username

None

Mar 18, 2010
    I am unhappy to see that one of the worst newer features of the internet desktop version of android market is now part of the new android smartphone android market - the reviews are no longer in reverse chronological order. Unless I am incorrect (and I hope I am incorrect), there is no way to sort the reviews to be reverse chronological order.

To me, having the reviews in reverse chronological order is important because so many apps get worse with updates. Sometimes the current app versions don't work as well as the earlier versions. Other times, the current app versions innundate you with ads unlike the earlier app versions.

It is useful to me to be able to see the most recent reviews to gauge how well the current version of the app works. If an app has a ton of reviews, why should we have to lose more time having to sift through them all to get a fair sense of what users think of the current versions when Google previously listed the reviews in reverse chronological order. It is unfortunate that Google does not enable us to sort the reviews.

The only solution I've come up with is to uninstall the market update from my phone. However, at least once, the market updated automatically, after I uninstalled the update, even though I don't allow any apps to auto update.

Advertisement

2. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    i think i have the newest version.. it is does list the newest review first...

i like the new market.. looks more robust. more engaging.

3. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Mine is doing the same as you, i constantly see reviews since 2010 and early 2011 at the top. It's extremely annoying, especially when you are trying to read through reviews to find out of it's a smart idea to update or not.

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Bummer. I agree with you guys...it should be sortable. Hopefully they will rectify that.

5. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred
    I had the new market till I rooted. Then I lost it. I don't really miss it. But I hope they get that fixed because you're right - it needs to be newest first.

6. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Use the market reporter to tell google the problem. The more people that do it, the quicker these known issues get resolved. I bug them all the time and they are actually quite responsive.

7. wafa510

wafa510 Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Albrightsville, PA
    It looks like they fixed the problem, at least on my phone, the reviews are now in chronological order starting with the latest reviews. Yesterday it was all mixed up. I would check to see if it is like this on your phone.

mrsbelpit likes this.
  8. _mw_

_mw_ Android Enthusiast
    None

No problem on mine either, rooted Incredible 1 w/2.3.4(.5.6.7.8) and the new market. Nothing but August 2nds on the featured apps and a couple of randoms I viewed.

9. Shans

Shans Newbie
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    Chennai
    I don't understand why Google is not intent on developing a Good UI for Android market..I would it's pretty elementary/basic and it still lacks the punch..

10. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    I read that they are trying something new. They are showing first reviews with "useful" ratings, so spam and trolling ratings don't show as much. This is useless to me. I do not appreciate being coddled, I can decide for myself which ratings are relevant to me. 2010 ratings need to stay at the bottom, forgotten, where they belong.

11. mrqs

mrqs Android Expert
    None

or rather ratings that have been made since the most recent addition should be given priority - i do think the "useful" rating thing can be quite "useful"

12. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Did they change the updates?
    I used to get notices of updates at the top of the home screen. Now I have to dig through each app to find out whether or not it has an update.

13. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    ^You should try clearing your data and cache from the market, updates show up at the top of my apps list for me.

14. Lowraith

Lowraith Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    What happened to the "Most Recent" tab for each app category? How are users supposed to find new apps and games? This seems like it will mean death to independent developers if users can't easily find their just-added apps. In order to become a popular app, the app must be frequently downloaded and reviewed. In order for an app to be frequently downloaded and reviewed, the app must be popular. Catch-22?