1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

terrible battery life

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vtec, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Vtec

Vtec Member

Just as the title says my battery life sucks. I have had the phone for about 4 days and o have cycled the battery at least 2 full times and its gotten better but still can't make a half a day. I have so far turned off all sync, dropped screen brightness to 25%. I lose about 8% battery just from leaving the phone off the charger over night. Today I went to the gym and had about 50% battery and after running Pandora on WiFi for 1 hour my battery is dead. I like this phone but this is unacceptable and I never lose much battery on my old iPhone 4 doing the same activities. Can anyone help or is this just how it is. I mean I haven't charged my iPhone since I got this thing and it still has +%50 battery!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kadimi

kadimi Android Enthusiast

Android biggest weakness is it's battery life, your phone is not an exception.

Reduce any background processes like weather and email syncing and disable wifi if not needed, alternatively you can use some battery saving apps: Best battery widgets for Android phones and tablets

3. Vtec

Vtec Member

I turned off all syncing and I have a battery widget already. Any other battery tips?

4. colmmcgrath

colmmcgrath Well-Known Member

Most smart phones consume battery when they are using the wifi. However you can use the 'Battery Booster' app that allows to save battery life for about 50 - 60% when doing all these activities. Its a free app.

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Your phone is only 4 days old, it took mine at least 2 weeks before my battery was operating at its proper level.

I've the Tegra 3 version so my phone behaves a little differently, but before installing a custom ROM, I easily got 36 hours of a single charge off with relatively heavy use. I gather a lot of users get similar results using the S4 version too.

Give it a little more time, must people say HTC got battery life pretty spot on with the One X. :)

Vtec likes this.
  6. prakhardeep

prakhardeep Newbie

I agree with EP.

I too easily get 2 days with single charge. You need to give it more time to fully mature.

7. Vtec

Vtec Member

Wow 2 weeks to break in a battery! Ok I guess Ill give it some time then. After all Ive still got 26 more days left in which to return it and this battery issue is one of the bigger issues I am having with the phone.

8. thicks56

thicks56 Android Enthusiast

Do the battery saver apps actually work then?

9. El Presidente

VIP Member

It differs for everyone. I used Juice Defender for a while on my Desire HD and ended up uninstalling as I felt it worsened battery life. I've never used a battery saver app since and never had any issues with battery life on any of my android phones.

Like I say though, it differs for everyone so other folk may have different experiences. Unless they have an inbuilt task killer, there's no ham in giving them a go.

Vtec, there is also the small possibility you have a bad phone/battery, but it's probably too early to say.

10. Vtec

Vtec Member

I havent ruled out that possibility, as the first hox I bought had a bad battery among many other issues.

11. Vtec

Vtec Member

I charged the phone to 100% then I went to sleep last night. I woke up with 54% battery! I checked the usage and it said all wifi. Why does the wifi burn half a battery doing nothing??? I just set the wifi to turn off during sleep, but then it says I will use more data. I am really starting to hate this phone.

12. whoelse

whoelse Lurker

You can also try 3GBattery if mobile data is using too much battery.
    Google|Playstore

13. El Presidente

VIP Member

Do you have Best WiFi Performance checked in the advanced WiFi menu?

14. Vtec

Vtec Member

no

15. vnsk

vnsk Newbie

I had the HOX for about 2 months now. My battery hardly used last till the day was over ( about 10 hours). After going through many forums, I switch on my Wifi and Data only when I need to use it. Initially it was constantly on.. There is a huge difference. Now it lasts just about 2 days !! No Idea why the wifi and data on sucks up the juice. But turn it off and use it on a need base. If that doesnt impove your battery performance , you have a bad one.

16. Vtec

Vtec Member

I already returned the phone and went back to my old iPhone. I really like the hox but it's way too much of a hassle, and in always worried about the battery. You shouldn't have to troubleshoot a brand new phone! It should work and work right! This was my second hox, I will not try a third. I'm considering the gs3 but man do I hate the screen, it looks horrible next to the hox. Or if AT&T gets the one x+ I'll give it another go. As of right now though I guess I'll wait and see what apple brings, I hate them but I never had issues with any of the phones.

17. El Presidente

VIP Member

Sorry it didn't work out. :(

18. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

This is a common problem with Android. Its really an annoying issue and I can definitely relate to what the OP is saying. I really love Android, and have owned countless Android phones. However I just got the Galaxy S 3 a few weeks ago, and coming from the iPhone 4s...wow, what a difference in battery performance. I mean you do have to realize your dealing with an LTE phone with a huge screen and Widgets, so of course battery life is not going to be anywhere near the 4s... But I still say Android should be a little bit more power efficient.

My biggest gripe is also the fact that the battery just basically drops like 50% while I'm sleeping with nothing running. Either way I'm using the new device at&t sent me today and will see how battery life fares on the new unit.

Good Luck OP

19. Vtec

Vtec Member

Im not totally discouraged, I do actually like android os now and for the first time I feel like I can live with it. I just need to find the right device, if battery life was better on the hox then Id be sticking with it for sure. Im just gonna wait it out and see what happens over the next couple of months. Im really hoping the hox+ comes to At&t!

20. leightos

leightos Newbie

My battery life wasn't too bad - I've had both the overseas quad core, and the USA dual core version. Can easily last a day. But all of the sudden - this week only, maybe last 3 days - i can't get a day's charge out of it. I've just gone through "Manage Apps" looked at what's running - and turned everythign off, and see if there was something there as the culprit. I know there have been some AT&T updates this week - just curious to find out if anyone else is having issues?
    I do use a battery management too and just now when I was typing this my phone went from 12% to 2%...in about 4 minutes. Very odd (even after I closed extra apps)
    Also...just to point out - others here have referred to breaking in the battery...there is no such thing w/ LiIon batteries - they don't have memories, shouldn't be an issue to break in as w/ older rechargeables. The only thing that may apply here is whether your phone actually is better at calculating when your phone is at 10%, or 50%, or 75%, etc.
    regards

21. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

I'm having similar issues with the GS3! My battery is completely whacked out, one day getting great life, the next I can watch the battery meter just run down. I've tried deleting some apps and haven't seen a difference. Very annoying.

22. Rik Mayall

Rik Mayall Member

I can't help thinking the op has a dodgy battery, i charged mine up last night then went to bed and left it in sleep mode not on charge and this morning it was at 97%. If i use it as a regular phone and don't hammer the wifi or whatever it will last 3 days before i have to charge it again. Just trying to explain that they're not all bad :)

23. Ironclad

Ironclad Well-Known Member

My battery will last for ages. BUT only if I avoid heavy internet & gaming, & none of that is ever going to happen :D
    I have had three days out of this before, but only for checking mail, very quick internet & no gaming. That Tegra is a hungry beast.

24. knudsen81

knudsen81 Android Enthusiast

My one x is only 3 days old and it last 16 hours with 2 hours screen on, with 36 % left

25. kilasix9

kilasix9 Android Enthusiast

I got a Power Case from eBay. Once I get it and test it out, I'll post my thoughts.

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews