1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Terrible Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Duffin, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

So...I was reading all the reviews talking about how great the battery life on the Note 3 is, but...I'm not getting it and I don't know why. My phone has been off the charger for 6 hours and the battery is down to 67%. This doesn't seem right to me. Does anyone have any ideas? I tried to condition it where I let the phone die on its own and charged it to 100% before turning it back on. I haven't really done anything overly intensive today, just texting, downloading a couple apps, a little internet use, and the occasional streamed song. But, some reviews said they got like 13 hours of constantly streaming video. There's no way I could have done that at this rate. Anyone have ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. I've never read 13 hours constant video. What is your screen on time you are getting?

3. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 battery life test - GSMArena Blog

They tested multiple scenarios. The Note 3 clocked in at 13:32.

My screen time on is 1 hr 44 m. There's not way that drained the battery this much. And I have the auto brightness on.

4. Who knows what settings or anything they were using. Each scenario is different.

I would say 6+hours screen time is good your #s are close depending on your usage rest of the day

5. redpill2016

redpill2016 Well-Known Member

Have you added many apps since you got it?

6. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

6 hours @ 67%

Id be ok with 18 hours for a full battery

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. xenonsupra

xenonsupra Member

Turn off any motion controls that you're not using too.

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

Really? My EVO LTE easily went longer than that with the same type of usage. I get the screen is a lot bigger, but the processor and Super AMOLED screen was supposed to help extend the battery life.

9. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

Okay, I had a couple one I doubt I'll ever use, so I turned them off. I have had the pedometer on constantly. Anyone think that might be a huge drain, too? I guess that would make sense.

10. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

:ditto:

With my S2 I probably would have been at 30% considering my usage over 6 hours. Last night before I went to sleep I had around 90% showing on my Note 3. Woke up at 10:30 and it showed 78%. :thumb: Been using it since then to post and read reveiws and it just now gave me the low bsttery warning at 15%. I'm very impressed with the battery life on this device.

11. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

Are my expectations just too high? I mean, with the EVO LTE, I'd take it off the charger at about 7 and when I was ready for bed at midnight, it would still have like 30% left with moderate use. At this rate, my phone will be dead by midnight.

12. xenonsupra

xenonsupra Member

I doubt it's a huge drain but I'd turn it off unless you really need it....

13. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

Well...I need it for counting my steps, but if it's a drain, I could deal with having it off.

14. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

how old is your phone? if youve only charged it once for 6 hours....seriously? takes a few charges to build up the capacity

15. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

What? First of all, I've never heard of battery capacity needing to be "built up". Secondly, it charged overnight. I had it OFF the charger for 6 hours when I made the post.

16. HanSolo

HanSolo Android Expert

Wait a minute. It dropped 12% while sleeping?

That's not good.

17. CYKBC

CYKBC Lurker

Running into a bit of quick drain myself

I guess I need to give it some time. I'm on Day 1.5

18. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

I just realized the LTE setting on the phone was on. Since LTE isn't available in my area, that very well could be why, since it would constantly be trying to ping for a signal. I changed it so it's down to just WCDMA/GSM now. If that drastically improves the battery life, I'll let everyone know.

19. Geidroid

Geidroid Member

I dont know maybe I am wrong but that doesnt like horrible
    battery life. I think I get the same battery drainage from my iPhone 4

20. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I'll double check tonight and try a side by side with my S2. I'll try to have them both at 100%.

21. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert

Yeah, that would be an easy explanation. My OG Droid and Rezound would burn through battery quickly in weak VZW areas.

Supposedly your Snapdragon 800's on-chip LTE draws less power when trying to connect to a weak signal, but it could still be a significant drain.

22. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User

Happy so far but only day one on the first full charge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Big difference when I was really paying attention.

S2 1:56 AM - 10:26 AM: 95%-73%
    N3: 1:56 AM - 10:26 AM: 100%-97%

Both devices had WiFi on and received 5 email messages overnight. The Note 3 is way better than the S2. I'm very, very happy with the Note 3's performance.

Simon_Gardner likes this.
  24. CheezyMac88

CheezyMac88 Lurker

My Note 3 that I just got yesterday evening won't even last more than 10 hours. I already disabled a lot of the features that I don't use and still no improvement. :thinking:

25. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Android Enthusiast

Can you post some screenshots?

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3200mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews