1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Terrible camera on the Atrix?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ComradeNF, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ComradeNF

ComradeNF Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Anyone getting a really bad camera on their Atrix? I mean, it is worse than the iPhone 4 camera! It just looks really grainy and bad to me, and I did not have this problem with the iPhone 4. Quality just sucks.

Is this with just my phone, or everyone else's too?

Advertisement

2. Jeremy81

Jeremy81 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I wasn't sure about it at first but I really like the camera on the Atrix. The only thing I really miss about the iPhone is tap to focus. Mine does tend to be a little grainy when in low light but other than that it's great. I think the problem is more with software than the actual camera. In dark situations the ISO is really high which is why photos look grainy.

3. Czarcat

Czarcat Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager
    I'm not sure that there is any phone out right now that can equal the camera quality of the iphone 4. It's generally regarded as very good.

I was initially disappointed with the camera on my Atrix. However, I've come to appreciate it quite alot. Here are a couple of points I've learned:

1) Do not use the Auto scene. The white balance is horrid.
    2) Low light photos will be grainy.
    3) Don't panic about perceived low color saturation. The Atrix is more realistic in color presentation vs most other devices.
    4) You can edit the photo in the gallery and do some minor enhancements if you like.
    5) Try another camera app such as Vignette if you just can't get accustomed to the default camera app.

Just as a qualifier, I took a week long trip and took MANY photos and videos. Using only the portrait and landscape scenes (as appropriate), I'm very happy with the results. My lighting ranged from bright outdoors to dark inside aquariums. The colors acurately reflect the source.

4. burtonvdp

burtonvdp Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    CenCal
    The hardware seems to be fine but the camera app/software is lacking imho. The "point and click" just isnt there.... I have noticed however that the none low light photos displayed on a computer do look a lot better than on the phone screen.

5. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, the first few pic's I took with mine were "Blurry" and would not focus.

Of the 4 Atrix phones we got, mine was the only one with that problem. However, mine was shipped, and the other 3 picked up in store.

For some reason, MINE (The one shipped) had a very small, clear, sticker (Anti-scratch??) over the lens. I wouldn't have noticed it if not for an air bubble in it. There was no tab or anything on it. I just caught it with the edge of my finger nail and it came right off.

Now, the Atrix takes better pictures than my BB 9700 did. Of course, I remember, this is just a cell phone, and not a real camera. So, I don't have great expectations of it either. However, I've put the pic's side by side with a buddy's iPhone 4 camera and no one can tell them apart.

6. Falchion

Falchion Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Lexington, KY
    I have no qualms with the Atrix camera at all, it takes photos the same quality as my dedicated camera.

7. hotcoffee

hotcoffee Lurker
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I am not overly impressed with the camera on the Atrix. My conclusion is that it works best in outdoor natural light situations. Indoor photos are of poor quality: noisey and unsharp. I think as a point-and-shoot, the camera could use some in-camera sharpening. Like others have already said, it is just a cell phone camera. So, we should not expect much. However, the Samsung phone the Atrix is replacing had a better camera.

8. WolfmanRobby

None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    Here's a couple of pics I've taken with mine.
    Atrix pictures by wolfmanrobby - Photobucket
    The first (the Mtn Dew Bottle) was taken in the car in mid day.
    The Second was taken at night, in my den, of my BlackBerry 9700 as I was prepping it to sell on eBay.
    Both are extremely clear and I'm happy with them. Especially considering they are cell phone pic's.

NOTE" When you view them Photobucket scales them down to 80%, so view them full for full effect.

9. hotcoffee

hotcoffee Lurker
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Actually, your photo on the left shows the same noisey characteristic that I was referring to when taking indoor photos. If you notice at the bottom left on your hand, you can see the graininess. That is camera noise. The camera will do in a pinch, but I would not recommend leaving a regular camera home on a trip thinking that the Atrix camera can do the job.

10. WolfmanRobby

None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    First, I would NEVER rely on a cell phone camera as my main camera. I usually keep a nice little 12mp point and shoot with me, especially for Geocaching. Unfortunately, last week, I forgot to "Hide" the camera in my car (It's normally stored in an underseat compartment.), and some punk busted the window out of my car stealing the camera and my hand held GPSr!! :(

So, looks like I'm on the market for a camera again. I had picked up that little Samsung (SL600, great little point and shoot, if you ask me) to be my tag along camera hoping to save up for something with a much more powerful optical zoom (Either a low end DSL or a High Enp Point and shoot with a 15x to 25x optical zoom).

As for the "Noise" you describe. I see what you are talking about, and I think most any digital camera would have that there. Take into consideration the sunlight refracting through the pink fluid onto the pinkish/flesh color of my hand. That's one of those "Hard to get clear" things anyway.
    When I think of "Noise" as a result of a bad camera, I think of pictures where the whole picture is that way, and not just one artifact.

11. hotcoffee

hotcoffee Lurker
    None

Mar 21, 2011

No argument here regarding cell phone cameras versus regular cameras. On the subject of picture noise, that might be characteristic of a high ISO setting. It is possible that the Atrix camera's firmware might need some tweaking for exposure and sharpening. My old Samsung cell phone did not have a flash, but took very good photos for a cell phone. Given the other more serious problems with Atrix (such as muffled voice on many of their phones and connection issues on others), I can live with the camera.

12. Jp77

Jp77 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    I think the camera is fine. It got way too much negative hype early on imo.

13. aztooh

aztooh Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011

You're either lying, or you have a horrible point and shoot.

The camera does well in bright, natural light. Artificial/low light is a completely different story.