1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Terrifying Battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pwannell, Jan 14, 2016.

1. pwannell

pwannell Member

Well my note has done me well. However check this out for battery life. 49% to 0 on 2 minutes. Anyone know why this could be please?

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Your battery might be on its last leg. Have you tried another battery?

3. rock526

rock526 Newbie

this happened to me. one year old note 4. thought it was a rogue app sucking down the batt. Uninstalled many apps but finally determined the battery went bad.

This is why I will never buy a phone with a non-removable battery.

patsfann and AZgl1500 like this.
  4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

+2 for me also.

also, if the battery is not removable, you have no chance to install an internal Qi wireless receiver coil charger. nix on that...

5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

After looking up the general specs on a Note 4, the battery is a relatively hefty 3220 mAh. Most likely you're having a hardware issue, the battery is failing. Very unlikely it's a software problem, that's a matter of something drawing over 3 amps in a couple of minutes. But if that's the first time this has happened it's a good idea to power off/on your Note 4 and give a full charge to see if this continues to happen. In any case, a replacement battery, OEM with the NFC chip, is only $12 on Amazon.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+Note+4+Battery+Replacement/38111

6. touringhaggis

touringhaggis Android Enthusiast

Back in the days of my Note 1, I had a battery that would drop from 60% to zero if I started a particular app (that was very GPU hungry). When I switched to a new battery the problem went away.

BTW: When I removed the old battery I noticed it was on it's way to rupturing. So you may want to check yours!

Regards,
    Eric.

7. sykpsm

sykpsm Lurker

Had Note 4 on Verizon for a year plus 3 months. Battery life has become very poor. The phone usually doesn't make it to the 15% alarm, before it crashes around 20%. Ordered battery from Samsung direct on Jan 26, 2016. Called to check and they said Note 4 batteries are back ordered, due to many being ordered. Sounds like many people have poor battery life. They expect to get them in on Feb 26. I don't trust the other sources to be genuine Samsung batteries. Like the Note 4, but I'm disappointed with the battery.

8. AZgl1500

so far, so good....

IMO, the battery failures are happening because folks are trying to get "Maximum Use" per charge out of them... o_O

draining them down to 10% or less and then putting them on the 2.1 amp fast charger module...
    ummm, folks, the Law of Physics says you can't do that without creating a lot of heat... and then battery gets hot... :mad:

I have a "low battery" alarm set at 40%, and I use a Qi Wireless charging pad 99% of the time. :)

Why? the battery manufacturers tell us "do NOT discharge the battery below 40%, or you will decrease the lifespan severely. And the recharge time causes the battery to get hot"

Well, a wireless charger will at best, push about 750 mA to the battery.... this is down from the 2.1 amps from the OEM wall wart.... the result is, slower charging, and a LOT less heat generated in the battery...

My Note 4 is still giving me the same battery performance now, as it did when new....

it is NOT defective batteries, it is "Defective Operator Error"....

RTFM people, read the manual.... yeah, I know, we never even open them unless something breaks and we can't fix it.... :rolleyes:

9. touringhaggis

touringhaggis Android Enthusiast

Hi,

Do you have a reference for this? I would be really interested in reading up on this point.

My problem is that I have heard different stories from different sources and now I am completely confused about what would be best practice. For example, it used to be the advice that you should completely drain a battery before charging it. Admittedly this was back in the days of candy bar phones, but I hope you take my point.

Regards,
    Eric.

10. AZgl1500

sorry,
    I have worked in the electronic's industry since 1958....
    I read all of the journal newsletters, and I just remember reading that 40% discharge point being amplified by many different newsletters.

once you read it about 12 times, it makes an impression on you.

touringhaggis likes this.
  11. svim

svim Extreme Android User

I can't say this link is the definitive source of valid info but at the same time I think it does summarize most of the current points of interest I've read online the past few years:

http://lifehacker.com/smartphone-battery-myths-explained-1735327089

AZgl1500 and touringhaggis like this.
  12. AZgl1500

an Excellent article, and I'm glad you found it again. Buried deep in it, is this phrase, which totally backs up what I have been espousing since the beginning of these threads:

The manufacturers state to not deplete Lithium-Ion batteries regularly below 40%.... and I believe that whole heartedly....
    and as I have stated, I have followed that premise since these batteries came on the scene... a 6 year old Galaxy S is still working on the OEM battery... I keep it charged at or about 40-50 percent as a "storage level". That too is per the Manufacturers' recommendations.

Everyone needs to read that full article, I vote that it is right at 99% true...

13. parishmc

parishmc Well-Known Member

can anyone recommend a good app that will accurately show which apps
    are using the most power, possible a rogue app ?

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews