1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Testers needed for encrypted messaging app

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by drmonocle, Apr 10, 2012.

1. drmonocle

drmonocle Newbie

Hello everyone. I've decided to release my new encrypted messaging app "Atomgram" as an open beta.

Atomgram uses public key encryption to encrypt messages on your phone so they can't be decrypted until they reach the other person's phone. This is all done transparently - there's no need to agree on a password in advance. It works on the same principals as SSL (HTTPS) connections on the Internet. This makes it impossible for the server administrator (me), your ISP, or your phone company to read your messages.

Atomgram uses data, not text messages, meaning it can run on just a WiFi connection.

You can download the APK here: http://atomgram.com/getBeta (Unfortunately this link will only work in the US and Canada. US law restricts exports of encryption software, and we've decided not to file the paperwork for export elsewhere until after the beta.)

QR code:
    [​IMG]

You can learn more at atomgram.com. We have a layman's terms description of how public encryption works as well as technical information about the encryption algorithms, libraries, etc. the app uses.

Please test it out and feel free to share it with as many people as you like. I'd love to hear any feedback you have. Either post it here, PM me, or email support@atomgram.com. Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rcrott1

rcrott1 Android Enthusiast

this is an AMAZING concept, just wish it was an add on to your regular text app on the phone... as it is now, both users HAVE to have the app in order for anything to work.

drmonocle likes this.
  3. drmonocle

drmonocle Newbie

Thanks for your comment. Because the message encryption has to happen on your phone, there's unfortunately no way around the requirement that both users have the app installed in order to use it.

I had considered giving Atomgram SMS capabilities, meaning you could use it as your standard SMS app and end-to-end encryption would be available if the other person was also using Atomgram. (Sort of like how iMessage on the iPhone automatically kicks in if the other user has an iPhone, but uses normal SMS if they don't)

However, I think it's better if users know that messages sent from Atomgram are always encrypted, and they don't have to worry about checking if the other person is an Atomgram user, so I decided against this.