1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Testers required/Stock Recovery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kingjay2012, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kingjay2012

kingjay2012 Android Enthusiast

There is all the talk about not being able to go back to stock recovery, hell I wasn't sure til today, I was browsing my files from my system/bin using root explorer and I stumble upon a recovery.img that was made on July 12, before the phone was released to the public with a much less file size then cwm indicating that it isn't cwm because cwm size file is 16mb. So this is when testers are required: anybody with a rooted device, root explorer, and of course a PC, pull the the recovery.img out of the system/bin using root explorer, putting it on the root of the sdcard and in the C:/ of your computer, using fast boot to see if I'm correct to put your device back at stock recovery just a thought.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. junkie2100

junkie2100 Android Expert

16mb is the size of the entire partition, that doesnt necessarily indicate what recovery you have it just means the entire partition was copied not just the part that was actually holding the files
    the thing you found was not a .img file, its a basic linux encoded program, basically an exe
    whatever you do, do NOT flash that file onto anything it is not a partition

3. kingjay2012

O OK, thought it might've been the size of CWM, sorry about that you guys

4. junkie2100

all good man, honest mistake but thats actually just the full partition size, i didnt notice it myself at first but the actual clockworkmod posted on this forum is only about 5mb, its when you use cwm or another utility to back up a partition that it just says "screw trying to go through all the data and figure out when the useful stuff ends im just copying it all kuz its easier that way". when you build it from source however it will be actual size, which is why the original built from source is only 5mb. a 16mb recovery.img could be stock, could be cwm, could be anything really.
    its not the size of the boat, its the motion of the ocean lmao

5. animusfl

animusfl Member

Edit: WARNING! I am not responsible if you brick your phone! This is only for the sequent(warp2)! If you mess this command up and are careless you WILL brick your phone!
    kingjay, here is stock recovery partition,
    http://db.tt/E0CmtW9R copy it to your sdcard. Then with phone booted normally you can adb shell, su, and dd if=/sdcard/stockrecovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 that will give you stock recovery again . From there you can try factory reset or use zte update tool. Good Luck!
    Ps yes it's 16meg, I pulled it when I first got the phone, and yes this method works, its how I swap my recoveries.
    Sent from my N861 using Tapatalk 2

6. kingjay2012

I have to type in that actual coding u provided?

7. animusfl

animusfl Member

Yes, if your unsure then you may not want to try it. dd is the program, and mmcblk0p13 is the recovery partition

kingjay2012 likes this.
  8. kingjay2012

No its cool I'll try it if something go wrong I'll back up my rom from cwm

9. kingjay2012

can i not just fastoot flash it back? i dont know if im typing it in correctly cuz the dd is seperated from the rest in how you explained the codes go in... if you can it would be helpful to me if you can just put it all together so i can see the code all together using adb shell

10. junkie2100

if its just a standard img file you can just do fastboot as well, same way you installed cwm. but as long as the phone allows you to modify the file that way his method should work as well. and actually that is a good thing to know because i cant use fastboot mode so let me know if that method works out

11. kingjay2012

I love you!! Hahaha it worked like a charm thank you so much!!

Moderator needs to put this stock recovery in the all things root guide when he can, this is a very important factor, thanks to animusfl, whoever installed the clockworkmod that is faulty can go back to stock, so geeked up right now!

12. kingjay2012

an what we talk about last night dealing with the sequent lets keep everybody in the dark with it, then when the time comes smash it in their face like cake! (Ike Turner voice)"eat the cake ana mae, eat the cake!" lol they will love this phone afterwards..... so shhhhhh!!!! lol

13. animusfl

animusfl Member

I gave the exact command to use, spaces and all. Here it is again...
    "dd if=/sdcard/stockrecovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13", without the quotes. Not sure if you can flash it with fastboot, never tried. This method works, it's how I swap recovery builds to test.

14. animusfl

animusfl Member

Glad u got it kingjay, feel free to break it again, now u can get back :)

ZTE Warp Sequent Forum

The ZTE Warp Sequent release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1650mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews