1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Testimonial - Upgrade and Keep Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by skwalk47, Jul 11, 2013.

1. skwalk47

skwalk47 Newbie

Just Upgraded to SGS4 and kept my unlimited data.

I ordered online, for a dumb phone on family share plan. Selected individual data plan for that line.

When the phone came, I activated the SGS4 on the dumb phone line, then a few minutes later, reactivated the dumb phone.

Simply switched the SIM card from my Galaxy Nexus to the SGS4 and voila, subsidized phone and unlimited data kept.:smokingsomb:

So yes, it does work, if you have the right setup.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love

Unless there is something I am missing here, it will only be a matter of time before VZW catches up to you on this, and forces you into an upgraded shared data plan.
    Good Luck.

3. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Android Expert

I'm pretty sure that's what everyone has been saying for a year + now as the upgrade "loophole". Still not an option for everyone though :)

4. rambo47

rambo47 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you can only upgrade on a DIFFERENT LINE, not the line with unlimited data. Then it's just a phone swap of two existing phones that you own. If somebody has only one line and unlimited data on that line, there is no upgrade that won't cost you your unlimited data.

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Yes, this ^

Been there. Done that.

So I let my data plan expire on my Tab and it's now wifi only, which is fine.

6. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast

I thought if you buy an unsubsidized phone (thus not changing your contract), you'll keep your unlimited data. So a person with just one line could simply pay out the ass for an unsubsidized phone, but have unlimited data (probably cheaper in the long run).

7. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Android Enthusiast

You are correct. It is using the subsidy that costs you unlimited data, not upgrading your phone.

8. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert

There's something new coming out Monday. Upgrade Edge. And some promotion where you get 6 GB for $30.

9. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Android Expert

Still not worth it. Dollar per gig used would be fair, until then Ill stick with my unlimited for that same price.