1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Testing & Benchmarking Batteries

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nor*Cal, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Nor*Cal

Nor*Cal Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Bay Area
    Those who have followed the HTC Express 1700 battery thread know that some of us who took a chance on these newly released batteries have offered to test them and provide feedback. I am one of those guys.

Now that I have the batteries and have started to put them to use I wanted to get some feedback and suggestions on testing them. I am not willing to invest in equipment as did the Batteryboss guy so I'm looking for some suggestions.

My initial thought was to download a flashlight app, turn my Tbolts brightness up to 100% and run the flashlight until the battery gets low. Maybe check the battery percentage every 15 minutes and track it as it goes down. I would do this with both the OEM battery and the 2 1700's that I purchased. I know this is a very unscientific approach to testing these things but it seems like it would be a quick way of comparing the batteries and a way to figure out if the 1700's will last longer then the OEM's.

My concern with this test is if it will have an adverse affect on the batteries. I think I read somewhere that draining the batteries really fast is bad for them. Anyone know if this is true?

Anyways, suggestions are appreciated. I will also attempt to work with member nkk who recently posted his battery experiment but am hoping to find a quicker and simpler test in the short term.

Advertisement

2. nkk

nkk Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    I would advise against two things: continually draining the battery and unfortunately the leds continuously. The battery does not like being drained quickly,either. That being said, there is a protective chip that will shut off the circuit if there is an unsafe of unhealthy amount of current.

Also, if you look at my update to my other post, I did battery checks at 1s intervals and it was still inaccurate. What I would do is instead of the less have the phone with screen on and network constantly on (possible tv streaming?) and do that for both batteries.

The most accurate method would be doing the current widget thing (I am going to do tenth of a second polling and see if that is more accurate).

If you need any help, pm me.

Nkk