1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Testing your applications

Discussion in 'Application Development' started by smattiuz, Nov 28, 2009.

1. smattiuz

smattiuz New Member

Nov 26, 2009
    CS Student - Part time Web Developer - Panasonic T
    Maserada, Treviso, Italy
    I was thinking about how you manage to test your applications... do you have an android device or you do simply use the emulator? I was thinking about installing android on virtualbox and try my applications there (since i don't have an android phone, just a nokia e65 which seems not to be android capable :( )

what about you?

Advertisement

2. regulatre

regulatre Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Linux Admin
    USA
    I know what you mean. There SDK comes with an "exerciser monkey" that does random user inputs against a program. It could probably expose a glitch or two.

I also noticed that when I create an app in Eclipse, it asks if I want to create a "test app" to go along with my app. I haven't experimented with this much other than letting it create the test app.

For my app I was thinking of just making a check list that I'll run through against each release: "checked this" "checked that"...

3. driodguy

driodguy New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I feel like I have to see it in an actual device for some reason, but the emulator is a really close representation so it might not be necessary. I wonder how much the exerciser monkey will really be able to find certain kinds of bugs, but it's a good piece to the puzzle.

I also run my apps through the analyzer at ShipCode.com, kind of a free little check that looks for some poor programming practices and throws up a cool little report.

Of course if you've got the $$ you can get a freelancer or QA house to go over your application, but for most folks this is overkill I guess. Sometimes when you QA your own stuff you can miss the easiest of problems, it's like I've got blinders on sometimes!