1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tether TouchPad to Android phone?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by md213, Aug 23, 2011.

1. md213

md213 Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    I am one of the proud new owners of a shiny 32gig TouchPad via the weekend firesale :)

My biggest most pressing question is how tha heck can I tether my new TouchPad if I don't have a webOS phone? I have an Android phone (Samsung Charge) with a super speedy unlimited Verizon 4G connection...and would LOVE (/slash/NEED) to be able to tether my Android phone to my TouchPad in order to use it on the go (when I can't find a free WiFi connection).

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisement

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Many phones have the ability to set it up as a WiFi hot spot. I can do that on my HTC Desire Z. Then you can surf on your TouchPad using the WiFi connection.

I believe the Charge does have that capability unless it is disabled by your carrier. Check the settings of your phone. There may be a setting usually in the WiFi section that allows you to turn on WiFi hotspot for your phone.

3. md213

md213 Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    There is a "Mobile Hotspot" option under "Wireless & network" in the "Settings" menu on the Droid Charge...but when you attempt to enable it, it automatically checks your subscription status with Verizon...and unless you've agreed to pay Verizon $20 or $30 per month for tethering, it tells you to call Verizon to set this up :(

I've heard you can use any Android phone as a mobile hotspot for "free" if you root it...but I was hoping to find a way to use my Samsung Charge as a hotspot without having to root it (I've never rooted an Android phone...and I'm a bit apprehensive about doing it due to the possibility of creating a very pretty paperweight :)